Is it I, Lord?



In my family, the only two "good" times that my kids have come up with mind altering topics is when I am cooking...or driving. I chuckle, because these times are when I need to concentrate the most and can't...yet the topics they arrive at cannot be ignored.
Such was the case this morning as I was making French toast. My 20 year old son asked why there has to be so much division in the world; specifically, why are there those who have so much while others have so little and why those with so much don't want to share. Then came the followup: "why also are there politicians who claim to be pro-life, yet once that baby is born, they could care less if that child is in a family who is so poor that those kids go without? They refuse to raise taxes on the ones who can afford it and stick it to those who are already burdened under a weight too great!"
Hmmmmmm....so deep!
and so right on the mark!

As I washed the breakfast dishes, I felt rattled. Being rattled can be a good thing, as it is what makes me want to take action on the subject. He is right.

There is nothing wrong with having wealth. But the line is drawn when the wealthy hoard it all, when they live lavish lives and turn away from those in need. Even Jesus recognized this, an admonished those who have more to share with those who have less. It is, in many ways, exactly what was happening during the time of Moses, when Moses reminded the Pharoah that the slaves cannot be expected to work if they were tired and hungry. "Like animals," he pointed out. "And even animals need a day of rest!" When the graineries of Egypt were full to bursting with wheat that were supposed to be reserved as offerings to their "gods," and yet the people were starving.

As I scrubbed a pan, I asked God, "what do You want me to do? How do I fit in this picture?" After all, why did the subject even come up if I wasn't supposed to act on it? I thought of Moses, reluctant to be the Deliverer, but accepted the role and of his brother, Aaron, also reluctant, but who became his messenger. I thought of the many saints through the centuries who where told of the mission they needed to fulfill and of how some wanted to shirk it off...but didn't.
I thought of Jesus, in the Garden and of His agony.  “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.” Where would mankind be today if not for this act of Love?

"Here I am, Lord, is it I, Lord? I have heard you calling in the night..."

My soul is stirring me to take action, to be a Light in what seems to be a very dark world. I am ready to do whatever it is that I need to do, though I don't know yet what it may be. Or...am I already doing it, but maybe not enough of it? This is where prayer comes in, that query from me to God, "what do You ask of me..." And then, as Mary replied when told of her conception of a Son who shall be named Jesus: "be it done to me according to your word, not as I would have it, but as Thy would have it!" And in her time, what she was accepting would surely have ended her life by stoning, and yet there was Joseph, protecting her because, once again, he also accepted the mission that he had been given.




Today, heed the call, the stirring from within that says, "you can't just allow the world to continue it's attitudes towards those who have less." 
"But I'm just one person!" you may be thinking. Yes, but so was Mary, the mother of Jesus. So was Mother Teresa. So was St Francis of Assisi....so was anyone who answered the call and was spurred to action. You ARE one...but you are one of MANY....
Make a difference today. Don't hesitate to answer the call that you have been given.

"For I know of the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord...."plans to prosper you and to not harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future!" (Jeremiah 29:11)


"Here I Am, Lord" ~John Michael Talbot      song (click here to listen and be inspired!)

"I the lord of sea and sky
I have heard my people cry
All who dwell in dark and sin
My hand will save
I have made the stars of night
I will make their darkness bright
Who will bear my light to them?
Whom shall i send?

(chorus) Here I am, Lord
Is it I, Lord?
I have heard you calling in the night
I will go, lord
If you lead me
I will hold your people in my heart

I the Lord of wind and flame
I will tend the poor and lame
I will set a feast for them
My hand will save
Finest bread I will provide
Till their hearts be satisfied
I will give my life to them
Whom shall I send?" (back to chorus)



 John Michael Talbot lyrics


















Comments

  1. We all have a task to perform. I think that you have done yours exceptionally well...but again, we cannot presume that our work is finished until we are done with life here on earth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. as Mother Teresa said, "If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one!" Or the starfish story, about tossing back starfish after starfish in the ocean and a man remarked, "but there are so many, do you really think you are making a difference?' and the other replied, "I made a difference to that one!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A life not lived for others is not a life." ~ Mother Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. this is kind of rude.....she is just doing what she is called to..what do YOU do, other than not sign your name?

      Delete
    2. The joy is fully in the giving. Just the knowing you give with joy is enough. You couldn’t ask for more.

      Delete
  6. The day will come, and come soon, when it comes true in your awareness of heart that it is blessed to give. Giving will be your greatest happiness. True giving is when it is your greatest happiness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts