it's the little things that matter!

 



 Redbook magazine's May issue had an article on money and how happy we really are. It states that if you make over $75,000.00, you are not any happier than those making less than that! Imagine that....how many of us aspire to "make it big," then when we get there, we find that it isn't what we had thought at all! The article further said that it's what we DO with our money, as opposed to what we BUY that makes a difference in our life. For instance, going to a concert over buying a new coat. Taking in an orchestra over those expensive shoes. I can agree with that. I remember the concerts that I have seen over the years...but that last shirt I bought---eh...not so much!

It is the little things that matter most, especially to another person. Who are you in someone else's life? That is what counts.....it isn't that shirt, those shoes...it is what you did that counts! I guarantee you, ask anyone who is facing an illness or told they have months left to live and they will remember the many things others have done for them....not the things that money can buy.
I was sent this list via e-mail...I have no inkling as to who wrote this list, but it is so wonderful that I hope you will seriously take note and put it into action!
Read on:
THE GIFT OF LISTENING . . .
But you must REALLY listen. No interrupting, no daydreaming, no planning your response. Just listening.

THE GIFT OF AFFECTION . . .
Be generous with appropriate hugs, kisses, pats on the back and handholds. Let these small actions demonstrate the love you have for family and friends.

THE GIFT OF LAUGHTER . . .
Clip cartoons. Share articles and funny stories. Your gift will say, "I love to laugh with you."

THE GIFT OF A WRITTEN NOTE . . .
It can be a simple "Thanks for the help" note or a full sonnet. A brief, handwritten note may be remembered for a lifetime, and may even change a life.

THE GIFT OF A COMPLIMENT . . .
A simple and sincere, "You look great in red," "You did a super job" or "That was a wonderful meal" can make someone's day.

THE GIFT OF A FAVOR . . .
Every day, go out of your way to do something kind.

THE GIFT OF SOLITUDE . . .
There are times when we want nothing better, than to be left alone. Be sensitive to those times and give the gift of solitude to others.

THE GIFT OF A CHEERFUL DISPOSITION . . .
The easiest way to feel good is to extend a kind word to someone, really it's not that hard to say, Hello or Thank You.

Comments

  1. I took in a concert about 6 years ago. I was at the Taste of Minnesota and not paying attention to my insulin levels and had a few too may beers. (I'm diabetic.) Next thing I knew, I must have become delirious because I was dizzy, thirsty and disorientated. No one seemed to understand what I needed, which was water and sugar, but a kind woman next to me must have. She was my angel of the day and her actions saved my life. She called out to anyone within earshot for water, for juice or tea, anything. After some hesitation and no response (guess people were too interested in the concert too care!) she again called out, more insistent this time. We were all standing up and it was packed near the stage and the day was hot. Finally a couple next to her gave her a bottle of water and some green tea. Perfect, she said. After about ten minutes, I regained clarity but never thanked her. She saved my life! I have been reading this blog and did some followup online and saw a picture and immediately recognized who "Reverend Baum" is! YOU are that lady who saved me that hot day in July! I am so grateful to say now, "thank you!" And you are so right...giving the gift of self matters so much more than any thing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts