of envy--and success




If only we can walk in the shoes of another! How often you may have said this. Our own lives look so mundane compared to what we perceive another's to be. Your neighbor drives a real nice car, so it would appear she is successful and has money floating around. Then you look deeper and see she is working two jobs, her marriage is on the rocks because of the excess spending and the kids have no respect for her.
In my own life, I do not envy another for what they have. Instead, I look to my own life and see how I can make mine better. I look to the "heroes" of our past and see how they, despite all of their infirmities, could be that beacon of light that I want to have...and to be! People such as Helen Keller:  “Instead of comparing our lot with that of those who are more fortunate than we are, we should compare it with the lot of the great majority of our fellow men. It then appears that we are among the privileged.” It's true. Walk that road and see where I have been, only then can you judge me and say that I have either done it right or had it all wrong.

When I first began publishing my books, I was jealous of other writers who seemed to have more "success" with their books. Instead of being angry, though, I learned WHY they had success. It takes just as much energy to be sullen and envious as it does to go out there and make something happen for YOURSELF! The best way to do this is to get away from all of the "you're supposed to be at this point in your life" talks inside your head and instead, be still and listen for the voice that says, " THIS is how you do it!" Seek out those people who you think are so much better than you and learn from them. Be the student for awhile.  During this time, give yourself a pep talk. Pump yourself up. Maybe sketch out some goals for yourself. What do you need to do to be able to go forward with more confidence? What specific actions will allow you to believe in yourself a tad more?    It's just as with everything in life, you have to work for it...and work hard. Even when we were born, our tiny bodies fought so hard to slip through that birth canal! Nothing in life is easy and NO ONE said it was! For ANYONE to wait for that magic lottery that will take all of our problems away---YOU'LL BE WAITING A VERY LONG TIME!

The ultimate weapon against jealousy and envy is simply to do your best. Because that’s all you really can do. Your friend-nemesis still may run farther than you, swim faster, and sell more books. But the only thing that matters is that you have done the best job that you can do. Then you can breathe a sigh of relief and feel some satisfaction.  
 
Every journey of one thousand miles begins with that one step forward in the right direction. Instead of becoming mired in jealousy, take the step that will get you to where you want to be. There is nothing that says you can't do it--except the voice inside of you. 
What are you waiting for?

Comments

  1. Exactly! There is nothing wrong with wanting to emulate another...look at all of the boys who wanted to be as great as Payton Manning or Brett Favre! But to envy them to the point of anger is just wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is from my prayer e-mail for today. I hope that it helps others as it inspired me: "Father, it seems that a seed of discontent has taken root in my life. I have tried so many things, hoping they would fill that “hole” in my soul. I have looked to so many people to make me happy. I now realize the only source of contentment is You. Right now, I lay down every lifeless resource and submit to You, Your plan and Your perfect provision in my life. Thank You, Lord, for being everything I need."
    In Jesus’s name, Amen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts