happy Nurses Day!

Although this post is only two weeks old, in appreciation of Nurses Day, which is today, I am re-posting. Think back to the best care that you have ever received from a nurse and you'll know what I mean!


Throughout my life, I can remember exactly as if it were yesterday, the nurses who came into my life. They didn't perform extraordinary miracles or resuscitate a stopped heart but what they did do was just as much a miracle as if they did.
When one is in the hospital, it is so easy to feel pity for oneself. The pain is sometimes more than you can bear, the conditions can range from lonely to scary. It would be at my lowest time that a nurse would appear and spend time with me, making me feel as though I were her only patient. I had one who, when seeing my hair was unwashed, brought her very own shampoo in and washed my hair right there while I was in the bed, because I couldn't take a regular shower. Another time, when not even a strong dose of pain medication could bring down the pain, a nurse walked me down the hallway, holding my arm and then, after helping me back in bed, gave me a back rub that relaxed me enough to fall asleep. Another time a nurse gave me a sponge bath right after my knee surgery, being so very careful to make certain that I didn't hurt myself.

Whenever I am hospitalized, I always say a prayer for the caregivers. Even the ones who clean the room I am in, or bring me my meals. I make certain they know how appreciative I am by saying thank you. I write sincere notes of thanks to the hospital after I return home, letting them know just who the special angels they have on staff are.

When you have been helped by others, have you taken the time to show your appreciation? Do you share your praise with all who will hear? In our lives, we can get so caught up in what we think is a thankless life...we feel as though our efforts mean nothing but you would be surprised at how much a simple gesture of goodwill can bring to someone who feels they are on a treadmill of "same old stuff."

Whenever we think of being a lifesaver, it doesn't always mean that we have to dive in deep waters to drag a person to safety or step in front of a moving truck. Sometimes, just doing our job to the best of our ability is more than enough. I think about Jesus and how He helped others. Yes, sometimes He was a lifesaver.....yet many times, it was just in His being available to someone who needed it. It was the way He would stop and listen. The way He would talk to children, giving them His full attention. The way He recognized that yes, life can be a dreary place, but it can also be a place of hope, if only we treat others as we wish we would be treated. It isn't asking for a whole lot, now is it?




Comments

  1. nurses can get so burned out because we feel as though we aren't making a difference. Just to let you know, your post has made my day so much better! Thank you for putting a smile in my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A big "hell yeah!" to all the nurses out there!! OOPS! I mean...heck yes?? sorry, Reverend, I got carried away there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally....we are recognized! Yay!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts