Rules for Dads of daughters

I will always remember the day that my dad took me to see the Pacific Ocean. I was only seven years old. It was a cold, windy day, the sky ominous with low hanging grey clouds. As the surf pounded the beach, I saw seals in the distance gathered on a small conclave of rocks that jutted from the water. I huddled in my coat as I took my dad's hand and for the first time, realized what it meant to marvel at something greater than he! ~ Rev. Baum


 In the words of a song by Cher, "If I Could Turn Back Time," I look back and wish that I had those few precious moments back with my dad, as well as with my kids! We all wish we could "grow up" faster, and here we are, older with each passing day and where did the time go?
Here is a list that I found so touching, that I am passing it on in the hopes that each one of you who reads this will take the time to live out the message. It goes without saying for mothers as well as dads. Read on:


50 Rules for Dad's of Daughters
1. Love her mom. ( She will learn that men are to respect women and will come to expect it from her own significant other!)
2. Always be there
3. Save the day. She’ll grow up looking for a hero. It might as well be you. (Good for that "knight in shining armor" she will marry one day, one who is like her dad!!)
4. Savor every moment you have together.
5. Pray for her.
6. Buy her a glove and teach her to throw a baseball.
7. She will fight with her mother. Choose sides wisely.
8. Go ahead. Buy her those pearls.
9. Of course you look silly playing peek-a-boo. You should play anyway.
10. Enjoy the wonder of bath time.
11. There will come a day when she asks for a puppy. Don’t over think it. At least one time in her life, just say, “Yes.” ( and then, be prepared to care for it the rest of it's life!)
12. It’s never too early to start teaching her about money.
13. Make pancakes in the shape of her age for breakfast on her birthday.
14. Buy her a pair of Chucks as soon as she starts walking. She won’t always want to wear matching shoes with her old man.
15. Dance with her.
16. Take her fishing.
17. Learn to say no.
18. Tell her she’s beautiful. ( Always remember this...it may save her from an eating disorder later!)
19. Teach her to change a flat. ( Teach her what important things she needs to know to care for a car properly. It will save her a lot of money down the road in that her car will outlast itself!)
20. Take her camping.
21. Let her hold the wheel.
22. She’s as smart as any boy. Make sure she knows that.
23. When she learns to give kisses, she will want to plant them all over your face. Encourage this practice.
24. Knowing how to eat sunflower seeds correctly will not help her get into a good college. Teach her anyway.
25. Letting her ride on your shoulders is pure magic.
26. It is in her nature to make music. It’s up to you to introduce her to the joy of socks on a wooden floor.
27. If there’s a splash park near your home, take her there often.
28. She will eagerly await your return home from work in the evenings. Don’t be late.
29. If her mom enrolls her in swim lessons, make sure you get in the pool too.
30. Never miss her birthday.
31. Teach her to roller skate.
32. Let her roll around in the grass.
33. Take her swimsuit shopping. Don’t be afraid to veto some of her choices, but resist the urge to buy her full-body beach pajamas.
34. Somewhere between the time she turns three and her sixth birthday, the odds are good that she will ask you to marry her. Let her down gently.
35. She’ll probably want to crawl in bed with you after a nightmare. This is a good thing.
36. Few things in life are more comforting to a crying little girl than her father’s hand. Never forget this.
37. Introduce her to the swings at your local park. She’ll squeal for you to push her higher and faster. Her definition of “higher and faster” is probably not the same as yours. Keep that in mind.
38. When she’s a bit older, your definition of higher and faster will be a lot closer to hers. When that day comes, go ahead… give it all you’ve got.
39. Holding her upside down by the legs while she giggles and screams uncontrollably is great for your biceps.
40. She might ask you to buy her a pony on her birthday. Unless you live on a farm, do not buy her a pony on her birthday. It’s OK to rent one though. (Horseback lessons will be a definite plus!)
41. Take it easy on the presents for her birthday and Christmas. Instead, give her the gift of experiences you can share together.
42. Let her know she can always come home. ( So important..never close the door forever on any of your children!!)
43. Remember, just like a butterfly, she too will spread her wings and fly some day.
44. Write her a handwritten letter every year on her birthday. ( I do this and my kids savor these letters!)
45. Learn to trust her.
46. When in doubt, trust your heart.( and trust again...and again...and pray often that she has made the right choice. If she hasn't, see rule #42.)
47. When your teenage daughter is upset, learning when to engage and when to back off will add years to YOUR life.
48. Ice cream covers over a multitude of sins. Know her favorite flavor.
49. The dating day is coming soon. There’s nothing you can do to be ready for it. The sooner you accept this fact, the easier it will be. ( Unless her new guy is abusive towards her, back off and allow her the chance to realize if its right or wrong. We all know that dads feel there is no "perfect one" out there!)
50. Today she’s walking down the driveway to get on the school bus. Tomorrow she’s going off to college. Don’t blink.”

Comments

  1. and all I remember is someone who was kind enough after my mom screwed him over to leave a bag of groceries on my front door...and who cared for me for awhile while mom was out having her "fun!" I do not know my real dad, but this person was like my dad and I am proud now to call him "poppa." So to "poppa..." I love you!!! Ok, gonna go cry now. (Rev Baum, why do your posts always bring me to tears!?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lil Girl Lost, I too was in an abusive family. I learned to love those who made me whole. In a perfect world, they would be your blood relatives, but in our sad, sorry world, it is the one who lifts you up when you are down and makes sure that you arrive at adulthood healthy and whole. In my case, it was my best friend's dad. Don't look back, but always look ahead ay what the world has waiting for you!

      Delete
  2. Oh to have my da here with me...he died way too young and all I have are the few memories of our times together. Mom and da divorced when I was 7 and he moved out of state. This just made me cry...I wish I too had more time with him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't blink. Exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charles Ingalls would have loved this list!!! Just saying! Michael Landon was such a great role model for dads with daughters! Just as Pa Walton was with his sons!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts