apathy that runs so deep

how to make homeless people happy

if you have a Facebook account, log in, then you can witness the generosity of others in this video. This is just beautiful! Click on the above link!!


Pay it forward. I know I have written about this, but this is just a friendly reminder. Have you done it yet? You don't need to wait to be the recipient, you can start the process yourself! Here's a bonus: it can be for anyone...a friend, a stranger...even the person that perhaps you'd rather not have anything to do with. In fact, it was Jesus who said that it is easy to love our friends...harder still to love our enemies.

I have a neighbor who has displaced herself from the other neighbors in my townhome association. Her presence at association meetings is painful as she berates everyone and everything as never being good enough, in her opinion. At about 2 a.m. today, as I was preparing to get my husband off to his early morning truck driving job, I noticed the headlights to her minivan were on. That was unusual, as she is retired and never goes anywhere. Hmmm....I wondered if an emergency had come up. What if she had to go somewhere and perhaps had passed out in her van? Thoughts flooded my head. "I really do not want to have to go over there and check," I thought--yet it stuck in my mind--"what if...?" "Oh....OK, I'll do my good neighbor duty!" I thought with a growl as I grabbed my cell phone just in case. The van was empty, the doors locked, so I couldn't just reach in and shut off the lights. Going to the front door of her house, I noticed her lights were on and she was lying on her couch watching TV. I knocked and announced myself. She was so happy to see me and assured me that all was well and that she would turn off her lights.

As I walked back to my own house, I got a huge lump in my throat. "I so do not want to be in her position," I thought, "to have no one that would remind her of such a little thing as headlights being left on." How sad. How lonely...that apathy runs so deep in a neighborhood where perhaps twenty neighbors could have told her that her lights were left on.

It is harder to do a kind deed for someone who is unlovable. As Mother Teresa would tell us..."do it anyway!" What a wonderful way to pay it forward! Whether or not...the deed is forwarded on is not the urgent matter, just the fact that you are lighting the candle in the darkness is.
May you be blessed!

Comments

  1. I wish that all people could be treated as we treat our very best friends.....life would be so much better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts