are you consumed with "stuffs?"



 



While I was shopping today, I met up with a wonderful 86 year old gent who works at the grocery store. He is always so full of wonderful optimism! He asked how I was and I replied, "upright and still breathing!" He chuckled and said that should be our attitude...that others have it so much worse than we do. Or we think we do.
Once again, wildfires are taking hold in the state of Colorado. Many residents have minutes to grab what they can and get out of their homes. Many times...they have nothing left to return to--everything is all ash and soot.

I thought about that. If that were me, what would I take...? How do you begin to put a price on "stuff?" Personally, I live simply, but even so...I value the little I have. Then you think about folks living in a third world country...the very little that they have and how, if they lost it, they also would be "lost."

Stuff. Value. What is really important here? I have told my husband that as long as I have family, friends, a modest home, food and clothes, I am fine. I don't need the latest gadgets, the designer clothes or the fancy vacations. To me, a "vacation" is just taking a break from the hum-drum routine in life. It can be sitting in my backyard on a sunny day, for example. It can be taking in a meal with my friends. It can be holding hands with my husband. Nothing else matters. Nothing.

Today, look around you. What do you have that you can live without? A friend of mine is in the process of moving and has had her things stored away. She said that being without all of that for a year, she could probably do without it forever.

Doesn't that speak volumes???

Live for today. Be grateful for the many blessings that you have. Instead of aspiring to have even more...store up your treasures in heaven...do good deeds....love your neighbors...and thank God for the miracle of life.
This is what truly matters!!!  Please also pray for those who are in the midst of danger, turmoil and struggle...they need all the help they can get!

Comments

  1. Beautiful story of being positive. So many times, it's the negative news, negative people that really drag me down. That is why I love this blog...you always brighten my day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts