blooming where you are planted

 



Since the advent of Spring this year, I have been planting my garden. Due to the very sluggish cool weather we have been having, it took longer than usual. I bought sunflower seeds and planted them, corn seed as well as cucumber seeds, anticipating a wonderful harvest.
Well, it isn't working out that way!
The squirrels dug up the sunflower seeds, the corn seeds, the cuke seeds and what wasn't eaten by them, the constant rain and daily cool temps pretty much took care of what was left.

Then came a few days of hot and humid weather. I saw things popping up that I couldn't remember planting. My husband told me that it was time I weeded out the garden. But I was curious...what was so hardy that it was growing despite the cool, rain gloomy weather?

In the bird feeders, I had black oiled sunflower seeds. Scattered throughout the garden were tiny seedlings, probably carried and dropped by the birds, now taking a tenuous hold onto the tiny bits of soil they could find. The cukes were done, but what was THIS growing in their place? I laughed when I carefully pulled up one plant. It was a PEANUT! Buried there by a squirrel. I just as carefully replanted it.  The silver maple tree overhead dropped its many helicopter like seeds and I was forever pulling those seedlings up as they began to bloom everywhere. And don't even get me started on the Creeping Charlie, planted by my son when he was only nine years old. It has pretty much taken up any available space and I am always pulling it out! (gives me something to do as I reminisce on his innocence of days gone by way too fast!)

I chuckled at my garden: what I had planted didn't grow, but what I had no control over was blooming like crazy!

Is this the way it is in your life? "Bloom where you are planted," so goes the saying. But so many of us resist change. We fight, we refuse to give up the idea of what we think is what we should be doing, when in fact it may not be in our best interest. Yet when we just give in and allow God to take over, things just seem to happen and for the better.
You'd be surprised at what grows in the garden of your life...if you just give it a chance!

Comments

  1. Thank goodness you're not using fertilizers/pesticides in your garden!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts