thank you, Paul McCartney....



"Let it Be." Three words that the Beatles sang almost 50 years ago and yet, they resonate so much within my soul. News about yet more violent storms in and around Oklahoma City, OK.
"Let it Be."
News about missing children. Murder. Famine. Earthquakes. Alcoholism robbing families of each other. Greedy millionaires. The list is endless.
"Let it Be."
What does this mean? Does it mean to turn a blind eye? To not care?
Hardly.
Listen to the words.

"When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom...let it be. In my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me, speaking words of wisdom, let it be."

This is a song of comfort, of assurance that all will be well again. Maybe not as we would like to have it, but as it will be. There is a bit of confusion as to who "Mother Mary" is. Some say it is in reference to the Mother of Jesus. Others say it may reference to Paul McCartney's own mother (he wrote the song.)

Whoever it refers to, take comfort in knowing that you are not alone. When you find yourself in times of trouble, pray. Pray for peace. Pray for understanding. I certainly don't have all the answers, or even a few of them, though I am "supposed to" as a reverend. I pray for wisdom, for guidance and when that fails, I cry and beseech God, "why?" Why do I have to figure this out all by myself? Because Life is hard enough without having to play guessing games. You know what I mean because you have been there, too. Why do tornadoes happen in an area already ravaged by storms? Why do people drink themselves silly, knowing they have friends and family who cry every time they slur their words and stumble about? Why does cancer have to take away those we love? Why, despite working over 40 hours per week, is it still hard to pay the essential bills? We do everything "right" and still have our backsides handed to us on a silver platter. Huge sigh. It's just not fair!
I sure don't know. All I can do is to pray with Faith and Hope that answers will happen, in one way or another.
Let it be.
It's all we can do.

"...shine on till tomorrow...let it be!"

Comments

  1. Georgia on my mindJune 1, 2013 at 12:58 AM

    when all else fails, turn to what inspires you. In this case, music! It's been around since the beginning of time and will always be here! Thank you for reminding us of what simplicity is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an alcoholic, I can't begin to tell you what this post means to me. I tell myself this phrase at least ten thousand times per day! I have alienated my wife, my kids...I have lost almost everything. Why my wife stays by me is beyond comprehension. She says I have used hurtful words with her. I don't remember any of it. All I know is that I have promised myself I won't hurt her anymore...so it's one day, one moment at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...this could have been MY post just two years ago. Oh how I wish I had taken better care of my family! Not a day, not a minute goes by that I don't think of my wife and daughter, killed by a drunk driver! That sent me into a spiral, as I am also a drunk, sober now for 68 days. I sobered up because I realized that I could also be homeless. My son was disgusted with me, but gave me a second chance...and a third...and a twelfth! You are not alone. Stick with this post as Reverend has lots of good advice. I would not be here if not for her words of wisdom...Let It Be!

      Delete
  3. There are those who live the life of Job...and wonder why they must suffer so much. This reminds us that really--they are NOT alone, that they do have a source of comfort. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God." - Romans 15:7
    this is directed to Andy W., anonymous and to all who have "a past" they can't run away from and for all of us to reach out to them. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw this posted today and want to share: "It doesn't so much matter where you've been. All that's left to discover is where you're going. A little bit of trust and "letting it unfold" combined with a little bit of muscle and "making it happen" will enhance the outcome tremendously."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let go and let God....let it be. It isn't turning our backs on a situation, it IS admitting that although WE don't have all of the answers, HE does! Let go...let it be. So true.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts