Want to be "Bruce Almighty?"


 

If anyone has seen the movie, "Bruce Almighty," you probably remember the scene where he is at the computer looking at the many prayer requests and attempting to answer them. Yet it seems that as fast as he is answering them, even more come in. He can hear the cries of people for help and yet feels that he can do no more for them. He throws up his hands and says, "Lord, how do you do it?"
Huge sigh.

I also receive a lot of prayer requests that I try to help out with. My answers though, seem to just touch the surface as I can only go by what information I see in front of me. I offer my hopes, my experiences and my prayers that all will end well. However...God helps those who help themselves! One cannot just go to God in prayer and expect a miracle! Many times, you have to do your part to make that miracle happen. For example, praying to stop drinking. Well, I can offer advice and prayer, but if you keep going to the bar or the liquor store...how can anything that I do help you? You must be willing to stop the habits you are pursuing in the endeavor of creating new habits that are better for you. If it is a sick relative or even you who may be in ill health, I can pray for healing, but if you refuse to go to the doctor, refuse to take your medications as directed, refuse to follow a healthier lifestyle...how can God help you? You need to work with Him, not just sit back and then, when nothing happens, speak ill of God. It just doesn't work that way! Looking for employment? God can help you if you do the legwork. Send out resumes, apply for positions, brush up on job skills, network with friends and job work force places. See? It can happen...but you need to make it happen! Just as with the joke that goes, "Lord...when will I ever win the lottery?' and God replies, "when have you ever bought a ticket?"

Even in Jesus' day, when folks wanted healing, they had the Faith that if they reached up, God would meet them halfway. Faith based on works now is what will create a miracle. We pray for peace in the world. Wonderful! But...what are YOU doing to make that peace happen? If you can't be genuinely peaceful in your thoughts, words and actions, how do you expect others to be peace-filled people also? Cutting off someone in traffic and then flipping the finger at them is NOT peaceful. Giving up a spot in the grocery line for another is. See what I mean? Collecting food for the hungry, helping an elderly neighbor...even if they can be grumpy, goes along way to establishing peace.

I have an elderly lady who lives up the street from me. When I see her sitting outside, I always smile and wave. Usually she just grimaces back. One morning last week, however, she smiled and waved back! See? Peace in the 'hood!

It doesn't take an act of government to create peace....start by just being a loving person towards all. In this way, YOU may be the catalyst for someone who needs a job or a reason to live. How did black Americans earn the right to vote? It was by the efforts of a man with a dream that all would be free. His peace filled efforts were the catalyst that gave the US a black president.

It doesn't take much except for a willing heart. Ready to be part of a miracle??

Comments

  1. I know of someone who drinks himself blind. He refuses to see what it is doing to his family and to me. Then he feels sorry for himself because in his words, "nothing good ever happens to him." AGH! If only I can make him see? How can I get him to understand that HE needs to make that first step??? HIM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, NY city wife, he needs to understand that you mean it when you say you are tired of his actions. Maybe he needs that wake up call. Tell him it's over and that you will leave if he doesn't change.

      Delete
  2. beautiful words! Love the motivation behind them! I can see your own corner of the world filled with roses and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It isn't just saying "amen," it's what you do AFTER the Amen that counts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts