what makes you TRULY happy?

 




Recently I was having a discussion with a friend who was lamenting the fact that his brothers were living the American dream" and he "wasn't." I gently reminded him that those families also had their share of struggles, it isn't always as it seems. "You have so much already, your health, a job that pays well and the love of a good woman...what more could you want?" I asked him. "There are so many more who have so much less!"
"Yeah, but there are also so many who have way more than they need!" he replied. "Why couldn't I be like that?"

OK...so let's run with that. I just watched a documentary about Johnny Carson. Remember him? "Heeeeeere's JOHNNY!" He spent so many years trying to be noticed and then another 35 years to be isolated from all who adored him. It wasn't known until he passed away that he would secretly give those who needed financial help a check, be it a group, an organization or the guy who was down on his luck. Talk about green grass on the other side of the fence! But was HE happy? If he had felt the need to have to hide...what do YOU think?
"Be careful what you wish for...you just might get it...and then some!"

One of my readers sent me a letter last week. In that note, she was ruminating about her life and why she felt so empty. I'll paraphrase it: "...and so here I am with a daughter whom I love so very much, a daughter that my folks advised me against having...and I would do anything for her! But I can't be happy! If I buy a new car, or new clothes, I am happy for only a little while, then I go right back to being unhappy again. I had thought that my baby would make me happy, but instead she came with her own set of problems! I am unsure of what to do or where to turn! How can I be happy?"

Does this sound familiar to you? Look at the TV ads....in everything that is shown, there are "happy" people...driving that new car, eating that new cereal...wearing those new clothes, getting a new look, starting a new diet and so on. But think about it...when the TV is turned off, you are still you. Sure, you'll buy into those ads, but when the day is done, what it amounts to is that you have "stuff" and still no real happiness. The new car scent fades, you regain the weight back, you are getting older and the clothes don't fit anymore.
Huge sigh...what have you gotten yourself into?

Repeat after me..."it's just STUFF!"

I tell you this...live in the moment! Be happy with a sunrise! Be GRATEFUL...start your day with a "thank you" for all that you DO have! Did you hear the birds sing today? Be glad that you can hear! Did you see a baby deer run across the road? Be glad that you can see! Are you eating breakfast? Be glad that you have food to eat! Can't make up your mind what to wear? Be thankful that you have THAT many clothes to choose from!

Oh my friend.....are you dancing for joy yet? Wheeeeeeeeee!! The happy dance! What...you have disabilities and can't dance? Me neither...but I sing with happiness because I am entering a brand new day!  I may be singing off key...but what the heck!

Today...start off with a smile and a "thank you, God...for everything!" Then share that joy with another! Don't wish for what you DON'T have...give thanks for what you DO have...and share that gratitude with all you meet! Oh...and by the way...what do you tip a waiter or waitress who is trying to make your day nicer? Answer.....give until it hurts! They need to make a living, too and you'll feel so free...and truly happy!

Comments

  1. oh my God...you just hit a home run! This post is an answer to a prayer! My husband wants to buy an expensive car, a car that he feels will make him a better person but in reality it will mean higher insurance, monthly payments and headaches from wondering who will wreck it or steal it! I told him we can do with the older car we already have! Now I can show him this! Thank you! My bank account thanks you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like the old saying, "clothes don't make the man...it's what's inside the clothes." Put perfume on a pig and it still is a pig, smells and all! Like you said, a new car scent quickly fades. True character doesn't. What a day brightener!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Oh Heavenly Father I am so Grateful for all You have Blessed me with. With that I Pray for the Strength to avoid worry & the Patience for Your Will to be done. In the name of the Father, the Son & the Holy Spirit. AMEN

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah but a new car is just so COOL! haha...great post! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the mom in your post realizes very quickly just how blessed she is and not take her unhappiness out on her baby. My mom did that to me and I was miserable until I left home. According to her, it was my fault that I was even born!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts