to try...or not....

 2
 by Michael Jordan


I never looked at the consequences of missing a big shot. Why? Because when you think
     about the consequences you always think as a negative result.
     Some people get frozen by that fear of failure. They get it from peers or from just thinking
     about the possibility of a negative result. They might be afraid of looking bad or being
     embarrassed. I realized that if I was going to achieve anything in life I had to be aggressive. I
     had to get out there and go for it. I don’t believe you can achieve anything by being passive.
     I’m not thinking about anything except what I’m trying to accomplish. Any fear is an illusion.
     You think something is standing in your way, but nothing is really there. What is there is an
     opportunity to do your best and gain some success. If it turns out my best isn’t good enough,
     then at least I’ll never be able to look back and say I was too afraid to try. Failure always
     made me try harder the next time.
     That’s why my advice has always been to ‘think positive’ and find fuel in any failure.
     Sometimes failure actually just gets you closer to where you want to be. If I’m trying to fix a
     car, every time I try something that doesn’t work, I’m getting closer to finding the answer. The
     greatest inventions in the world had hundreds of failures before the answer were found.
I think fear sometimes comes from a lack of focus or concentration. If I had stood at the
     free-throw line and thought about 10 million people watching me on the other side of the
     camera lens, I couldn’t have made anything. So I mentally put myself in a familiar place. I
     thought about all those time I shot free throws in practice and went through the same motion,
     the same technique I had used thousands of times.You forget about the outcome. You know
     that you are doing the right things. So relax and perform. After that you can’t control anything
     anyway. It’s out of your hands so don’t worry about it.
     I approached practices the same way I approached games. But that’s not how a lot of people
     approach things. And that’s why they fail.If you are trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks.
     I’ve had them,everybody has had them.
     But obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up.
     Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it…

Comments

  1. Such a positive role model. We need more of these and less of the ones who wish to create misery in our world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts