does your job make you happy?

 


It's Labor Day...a time to remember those who worked in oppressive conditions for many hours and little pay. America has come along way since then...and we should be grateful, we should give thanks because there, but for the grace of God...you could have been born in Bangladesh and be working for pennies daily in a sweat shop. Lucky you.

I hear of so many who  hate the job they are in. Why? Many reasons. Maybe they are bored, perhaps not being paid enough. No real benefits. Long hours. No family time. Yet if you were to quit that job, with nothing else prepared, you may be in for a shock, as the workforce just doesn't accommodate impulsiveness.
Today's children coming out of college are having a hard time finding a job that they have studied for. Too many colleges are luring them in with promises of a "career of a lifetime," only to have that graduate realize--too late--that it was not what they had envisioned. Again...roadblocks.

Maybe we need to learn about gratitude. Be grateful for what you DO have. If you DO have a job...give thanks. Many do not. If you feel you haven't been adequately trained for what you want, then work your way towards something else. If you can't stand what you are working in, again, prepare and go with the flow. Don't just give up without a plan. Life is no longer accepting those who bail out suddenly. It's like jumping off a ship that is steered in the wrong direction. Without a plan and a lifesaver, you're now swimming with sharks.

I say this based on experience. I have been in situations where I have worked literally three or four jobs per day just to survive. I cleaned toilets, happy to just have income. I have cleaned up after dogs, served grumpy customers at a restaurant, I have offered crabby school kids their lunches and the list goes on. In all things, I gave thanks. I was employed. Too many people today are looking for a career, something that makes them happy. Friend, it's NOT "The Job" that makes you happy, it's your ATTITUDE! Clear your mind of that greedy clutter! Find some good in everything! There are so many who go without and are happier than the richest person who has all they need...yet what they need most is lacking; and that is internal gratitude.

Today while you're enjoying what may be a day off for you, give thanks. You have been blessed with so much. Be grateful for it.

Comments

  1. John from the Big CitySeptember 2, 2013 at 5:22 AM

    I have a doctor, who has an assistant, who is so crabby. Like my health issues BORE her or something. She demands answers from me instead of showing compassion. I almost hate to go there anymore and have no choice, as it is the only one covered by my insurance. If you don't like the job you have, maybe leaving IS better than inflicting your poor crabby attitude on others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can name so many waitresses who are so bitchy...why even bother to show up for work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. burned out in RaleighSeptember 2, 2013 at 5:25 AM

      And what have you done to make them happy? It only takes a smile...walk in their shoes for a day and you will understand! It isn't the waitress's fault if the food is cold, or the coffee bitter. We serve, not cook! Then you leave a ten cent tip...why bother? We have bills to pay also...and the tip is the only way we can! I do what I can to make my customers happy and still I get the boot up the ass. No wonder we want to cash out of life!

      Delete
  3. I got my coffee from a drive thru gal who at 5 am was always so happy. She told jokes that had us cringing...she'd laugh, I often wondered what her secret was. Then I asked her. She said, "I just LOVE life!" wow...wish everyone could be like her!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts