childhood moments are so fleeting...



 "I believe the children are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be..." 
~The Greatest Love of All


I was babysitting a two year old girl yesterday. I laughed with her as she played with the Barbies I gave to her, I watched "Toy Story" with her and marveled again at the genius behind the story line of toys who have feelings and will do whatever it takes to stay together, ("a good toy never leaves a friend behind!"). And she was sitting with me as sleep finally overtook her and I lay her down on the couch, covering her with her favorite blankie. Trust me, there is nothing sweeter than watching a child sleep. Nothing!

Oh yes, I miss those days of childhood. When innocence and faith were strong and children believed we were the kings and queens in their lives. Huge sigh.

As we walked hand in hand to the park playground, I yearned for those days of my motherhood to come back. "I promise, I won't be in such a hurry!" There will no longer be "hurry up, we have to get here...or there!" conversations. We will linger more over a flower, or have a quiet dinner together without the intrusion of a TV. I will take more time to look over their school papers and comment on how happy I am that they got question three RIGHT...instead of being annoyed that they got question five WRONG...so many little things.

I guess that is why there are grandmas and grandpas...so that we get that second chance to do it over...and do it right!

Today...take time with your children. Appreciate them for who they are...and help them achieve who they can be, without threats, without stressing them out...because they have the potential to succeed. Why? It's because they want to please you! To them, you hung the moon. How about if you live up to that ideal?

Comments

  1. OMG....you are so "right on!" I never dreamed that I could be as happy as I am with my little girl!! I see so many things that I missed because I had to grow up so fast!! She is my delight! Thank you for this post! You're aces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We think we have it all, until a child is born. Then we realize...we had nothing before now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts