to be God's servant....

 



A friend posted on her Facebook page that she has gone back to church after an absence because there is now a new pastor in residence who takes the time to understand the needs of his parish. Apparently the previous pastor did not and thus, the reason for the split.

I found this disappointing, but not unlikely. I also remember pastors who were judgmental, dour, uninviting. We need to remember that the word "pastor" derives from the Greek word for "Pasture." This goes back to when Jesus referred to Himself as the Shepherd and we are His sheep. "My sheep know me and I know my sheep by name," He told us. Yet many who are professed to be pastors/shepherds seem to have forgotten that. Instead of leading with love and understanding, they lead with condemnation and threats. They perform by rote instead of with understanding and love. They forget that they are supposed to be God's servants--not God Himself.

When my sister passed away in 1996, my own beloved pastor was out of town at a conference. His associate was also out of town on personal leave. This left a parish secretary scrambling to find a substitute and she herself scrapped with me at her lack of luck in securing someone. I did not need to hear about this--I had enough on my mind as it was. I had never had to be in charge of a funeral before and I was already confused by my sister's sudden passing and the many details that went with it. In short, I was a zombie myself, trying to just get through each day without falling apart. The secretary finally located a priest from a neighboring parish, but he had no clue as to who I was, let alone the wonderful person that my sister had been. His homily left so much to be desired. Everything that I had wanted to be mentioned in his eulogy was stilted, forced or left out altogether. I felt so slighted...cheated and hurt. When my pastor returned and found out what had happened, he did his utmost to make it up to me, but the hurt was still  there. Another time, when his associate was to be in charge of the baptism of my fourth child, he rushed through the service. The ceremony was performed in about 28 minutes flat--and this was AFTER he told me that he did not want to "have to" baptize my baby on a Saturday night- the only day when the godparents could be there! When I told the priest in charge of this, his reply was, "he'll do it if I say so!" Well, needless to say, the rushed service should never have been performed at all, with the bad attitude this priest displayed! Again, I was disappointed and it left a sour taste in my mouth.

My point here is this: I have the title of "reverend." I walk in the shoes of another--or if I have failed to do so, I DO try very hard to! I make NO judgments, I try to see everything from all sides. Who am I to say what your final judgment will be--and why even hint that whatever you have done in the past will determine what your future will be?  I live as Jesus did--I cast no stones. I will not hesitate to invite a stranger in to my house, to embrace those who are suffering from mental illness or addictions. I trust all who enter and have been taken advantage of by many, yet I struggle on. For each person who has used me or hurt me, there are many others who support my efforts. I grant peace to all that I encounter and will offer prayers to those who are in need of them. It is my hope that Love equals more Love to be shone on all who are in need, thus spreading the peaceful message to all!

What you, the parishioner, need to remember is that the church is NOT the building, the church is you...it's me...it's THEM...all who enter are "the church!" Put on the cloak of righteousness and keep it with you...you are the witness to the goodness and mercy of God!  and remember to give away the love that you encounter to another who is in need of it!

Comments

  1. You can tell who answers the call of being a pastor and who is just going through the motions. Look at the ones we see on TV...Billy Graham has the love of so many while some you can tell are in it for the fame and the fortune. I don't recall seeing portraits of Jesus wearing bling and living in mansions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wearing bling...there ya go! our new Pope, Francis has shunned bling and lives simply, as Jesus did. THIS is why he is so loved by many--he is one of us!!!! He is living the example that Jesus set for us.

      Delete
  2. Cheyenne from Wyoming!November 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM

    There are pastors who have "the calling" and some who don't but try to muddle through it anyway. It's like many other professions. I had teachers in my life who were great and others who could have cared less. Makes you wonder why they even bother, right?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts