in search of: the "perfect gift"

 



Is there a perfect gift? Have you ever received one? What was it? In my life, I have tried to have a Christmas season full of everything that I have seen in magazines. A perfect meal, a perfect tree, perfect lights, perfect gifts, perfect friends and family to share it all with...and then I woke up. I had such a dream!

In real life, that is, what we do day in and day out, life is fraught with many pitfalls. Uncle Charley is not perfect and neither are you. That gift that looked good in the store? It is a size too small and the wrong color! That child who seemed so innocent in his school photo just broke your favorite ornament and the dog just pooped on the rug just as Aunt Sally stepped in it!

I could go on, but I'm sure you have your own nightmares to add to this list!

Life is not perfect. No matter how much we try or how bad we want it, it will never measure up. It is not to say that we don't try...please do! But great expectations can end up being not so great. And that is OK! Accept what happens and say to yourself, "it's the thought that counts!"

I am thinking of those who may not even have a gift. They live below the poverty level, they struggle for every dime. They may have just lost their job. They may be behind on rent money and are facing homelessness. They may have alcohol addictions. Drug issues. Maybe a sister and her brother haven't spoken for a long time. The office Christmas party is strained because a co-worker doesn't see eye to eye with another one. Again the list is endless.

Jesus sees us in all of our struggles. All of our pain. All of our efforts. Never despair. He knows our needs. I myself have always asked, "why must there be pain in the world?" The answer is: it is a test of faith. Who is willing to give away their second cloak to another in need? Who is willing to cross boundaries to help another person of differing race, color or creed? Who is willing to stick with the one who has addiction issues instead of turning away?

Could this be you? Could you be the angel of Christmas who makes another's day brighter?
I believe in Christmas. I believe in the goodness of people. I believe that God is watching, helping...and smiling when it happens.

Today, let others see Jesus within you! Let your light shine before all! This is how you can be the perfect gift!

Comments

Popular Posts