"those were the days, my friend..."

 


I remember as a young girl, sitting on my grandma's couch with an old photo album on my lap. These were the albums in which you needed the black corner tabs, which you needed to lick into place to hold the photos onto a heavy album with either black or white pages. I was mesmerized by people, places, events and always looked forward to viewing those albums many a time. It was one of the best parts of going to Grandma's house, as I would always ask her to "tell me when..."

Fast forward to today. Photos today are no longer kept in albums, rather they are stored on memory cards, social media, Instagram and can disappear within ten seconds, thanks to new technology, from your cell phone.

Huge sigh.

History is disappearing. How many kids today would think to ask to look at old photos? How many parents are telling and retelling the stories of old, using pictures as a diagram of what used to be?

I have many photos on flash drives, many of those I have already made copies of and are in photo albums as well as hanging on walls throughout my house! I think I have kept several inkjet companies in business just by printing off pictures. This is a good thing, actually, because I look upon these pictures, remembering "a time when" ....and knowing that time is gone for good. If ever you have listened to the news whenever there is a housefire or natural disaster such as a tornado, what is the first thing people say?
"Thank God I was able to save the photgraphs!" or else they mourn the loss of something they know can not be replaced!

Today, get out those memory cards, those flash drives...download your pictures off of your digital cameras and cell phones, print them...make memories last! Because time is fleeting and you will never have this time back. It is a part of history that you should be telling and retelling your children...your grandchildren...be proud of that!

Comments

  1. Ah...history! I can't tell you how many times I have viewed photos and have NO idea of who is in them! Not only should you save pictures, but make a notation of who is who! Otherwise those pictures are useless to anyone but those who know those things!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts