Mary, did you know....??






O Saint Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the throne of God, I place in you all my interests and desires.

O Saint Joseph, assist me by your powerful intercession and obtain for me from your Divine Son all spiritual blessings through Jesus Christ, Our Lord; so that having engaged here below your heavenly power, I may offer my thanksgiving and homage to the most loving of Fathers.

O Saint Joseph, I never weary contemplating you and Jesus asleep in your arms; I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press Him in my name and kiss His fine head for me, and ask Him to return the Kiss when I draw my dying breath. Amen

O Saint Joseph, hear my prayers and obtain my petitions. O Saint Joseph, pray for me. (Mention your intention) 


I have been praying this novena for the past nine days for a very special intention. (The word "novena" means "nine" or a prayer repeated and meditated on for nine days.) As I meditated on it today, it occurred to me, did St Joseph and Mary realize just how wondrous this little child of theirs was? When they comforted him, when they watched him grow, were they aware of how this little person would somehow save all of creation from themselves? (The song by Kenny Rogers, "Mary, did you know?" comes to mind.)

When the angel came to Mary to announce her pregnancy, she didn't waver like Sarah did. She did not laugh and question how it could be, other than to remind the angel Gabriel that she was a virgin. I wonder if Mary was more like Sarah, however, in realizing that ok, here was this baby who would one day grow to lead a great nation, who would be a part of God's plan, like Isaac was, instead of growing up to perform wonders and miracles. Because if Mary really fully understood this, would she have been able to raise him as many of us moms do...with firm discipline, love and as the child grew up, to be able to let go and allow Him to go on His own? I often ponder on this. I think had it been me, I would have been so overwhelmed that I wouldn't know where to begin. A King? A Savior? Lord, how do I do this, how do I raise up so wonderful a person whom you say is both God AND man? I may well have blown that one great chance and yet, I look at my own children..all adults now. They have developed into wonderful people; caring, responsible, so precious to me. Yes, they had their ups and downs, but thankfully the downs just prepared them for something better. I give thanks to God for allowing me to be their mommy!!! :)

Today, ponder the roles that both Mary and Joseph played in the raising of our Savior. Of the difficulties that arose at every turn: Herod's desire to kill all infant boys under two and the fear they must have felt. ( I would have questioned God about this one also. How could He allow Herod to even consider this?) The exile into Egypt with all of it's uncertainties...not knowing anyone, no job, no home waiting for them... and the most daunting....for Mary to watch her own son be tortured and crucified. That one still gets to me. I couldn't have borne that...not in a million years. She was truly a wondrous person herself.
May God bless you and yours...be a peacemaker...a peace GIVER... to all that you meet today!!

Comments

  1. So often, on my worst days I think of what it must have been like to be Mary...and realize that my worst days are nothing but a bump in the road compared to her!!! I am so glad that you recognize this also!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My throat is so filled with tears...you can write like this because you are a mom and you know what that is like. I am a first time mom to two beautiful little girls...one is just "on loan" to me. I can feel your words penetrate my heart...and as I have looked at my girls sleeping, I know that I also have been chosen to be a wonderful mommy in a wonderful way. They are mine by blood, but rather, but choice....but I can side with Joseph. He also wasn't Jesus's birth father but I am sure he felt that same affinity as I think all dads do when they are chosen for this role!!! I think the same is true with stepchildren....they just come with the package of marriage. I would hope that those children can feel the love that is now shared by two parents....both real and the ones who said, "I do."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. **meant to say, "they are NOT mine by blood, but rather by choice...**

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts