How to stay young

 



Father, I want to live life to the fullest. I want everything you have for me and don’t want to miss a single blessing or trial that is for my good. Please help me keep my eyes on You and celebrate every day and all that it holds. I trust You, Lord, to work all things together for my good and Your glory.
In Jesus’ name,
Amen.



Last Sunday, I put on a nice blouse and pair of pants, fixed up my hair...and made potato salad. We were going to my brother-in-law's home to have a BBQ and I wanted to look nice. My sister-in-law noticed and asked what I was so dressed up for.
I replied happily, "why, to have dinner with you!"
She chuckled. I explained that I don't usually have anything to get all dressed up for, so this was a special occassion.
Is this the way it is for you? What does it take to get all dressed up? To use the good plates? To sit on that special couch?
In other words, what are you waiting for?
Life is so short. Why wait until the last minute to do anything?
I knew of an older gal who had, hanging in her closet, a dress that she bought. She always spoke of that dress with such eagerness. When pressed as to why no one ever saw her in it, she explained with much excitement, "it's what I want to be buried in when I die!"
Time came, she did indeed pass on. Her daughter brought that dress to the mortician...who, after much effort, called the daughter with the sad news: the dress didn't fit. It was too small! That dress had hung in her closet for so many years...and she never had a chance to allow herself the opportunity to allow others the pleasure of seeing her in it while she was alive and even in death, it was too late.

 I saw this today in my e-mail inbox. I hope that you take heed and really think about what you do in your life....we don't know how long we have...so make each moment count!


1. Throw out non-essential numbers such as your age, weight and height.
2. Keep only cheerful friends. The grouches pull you down. If you really need a grouch, there are probably family members to fill that need.
3. Keep learning. Learn more about the computer, crafts, gardening, whatever. Just never let the brain idle.
4. Enjoy the simple things. When the children are young simple is all you can afford. When they are in college simple is still all you can afford. When they are grown, and you are on retirement, that is all you can afford.
5. Laugh often, long and loud. Laugh until you gasp for breath. Laugh so much that you can be tracked in the store by your distinctive laughter.
6. The tears happen. Endure, grieve, and move on. The only person that is with us our entire life is ourselves.
7. Surround yourself with what you love, whether it is family, pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies or whatever. Your home is your refuge.
8. Cherish your health. If it is good, preserve it. If it is unstable, improve it. If it is beyond what you can improve, get help.
9. Don't take guilt trips. Go to the mall, the next county, a foreign country - but not guilt.
10. Tell the people you love how much you love them every chance you get. Never assume they know.
11. Don't worry about things you cannot change or do anything about. Accept them and move on.
12. Read more and dust less.
13. Spend more time with your family and friends and less time working.
14. Whenever possible, life should be a pattern of experiences to savor, not to endure. Recognize these moments now and cherish them.
15. Do not "save" anything. Use your good china and crystal for every special event such as losing a pound, getting the sink unstopped, or the next blossom of flowers you see.
16. Wear your best outfit to the market.
17. Don't save your good perfume for only special occasions. Use it even if you are going shopping or just to the bank.
18. "Someday" and "one of these days" should vanish from your vocabulary. If something is worth seeing, hearing or doing, go and see, hear or do it now.
What about you? Are you living each day to the fullest? Jesus is all about living an abundant life in the here and now … whatever stage of life that might be for you. Jesus came so that we can live abundantly and eternally. Eternity began the moment you accepted Him as your Lord and Savior. Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. ~ Mary Southerland


Comments

  1. I never thought of it that way. I also have a nice outfit in my closet that I have been saving for "something nice." Maybe today is that nice day after all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts