a prayer for alcoholics everywhere....


words to inspire your day!                                  : a prayer for alcoholics everywhere....

A note from one of my readers. This may strike a chord with those of you who are also dealing with watching another's addictions bring them and all they hold dear down:

Dear Rev. Baum:
It has been another sleepless night, this after spending the hour before bed in tears. He doesn't know about it, of course he doesn't. He drank himself blind and became abusive towards me. All of my stalling tactics, you know, placating him, humoring him, ignoring him, just did not work as he became more loud, more rude and finally, he hit me. I am at my wit's end. The last straw. Although he is so sweet and would defend me from the world when he is sober, when he gets drunk, he is so different! I ask myself, "where have I gone wrong?" I plead with God, "why did You have to send me THIS?" I wonder when it will ever stop? And he just looks at me when he is sober and declares, "I don't know why I do this?"
Well, I also don't know why I do this! Why do I stay? Why does he drink? The older he gets, the less tolerant he is of alcohol. On an empty stomach, it doesn't take as long as it used to for him to just be obnoxious! His parents see it, his family sees it...I have asked myself a thousand times, "do I stay or do I go?" Why do I need so much stress and pain on my life?"
Thanks for listening. I know all about Al-Anon. I also know that I should just shove him out, lock the door and move on in my life. But something always stops me. Maybe I am a glutton for punishment, who knows. Just say a prayer for me please!

Signed,_____

I won't reveal her name only because she is going through so much torment right now. And she isn't the only one, I get comments like this all the time. ALL. THE. TIME! I only wish that I had the answers of why people destroy themselves through their addictions. I always talk about compassion, but it takes a strong person to deal with this issue day after day. Alcoholism kills so many people daily and it isn't just the drinker, whose life is cut short due to liver problems. It's also the innocent victims who are killed by a drunk driver.
And so, it is time once again to print my prayer for those who are dealing with addictions. Whether you are the cause or the effect of it, this prayer is for all of us!

Dear Lord,

We come to you and we pray for all those who are struggling tonight. We ask in the name of Jesus, that you be with each person who is struggling with addiction...whether it be alcohol, drugs, sex, gambling, food...sometimes it's more than one at a time.

Lord, you are our deliverer. We can do anything through Christ who strengthens us...but, we must take the first step. We must realize we have a problem and a need... and we must ask for help. We ask Lord, that you will give each person the courage to face up to their problems and to have a strong desire to change.

We ask that you will remove all outside influences that hinder them from coming clean and who perpetuate their addictions. We ask in Jesus' name, that you will bind the enemy and that you will put your angels about each person to protect them tonight from themselves and from the things that keep dragging them down. Lord, we know many self medicate so they won't have to deal with the pain in their life. We pray that you will give them the courage and strength to face down their demons and hurts... and to clean out the wounds once and for all, so they can be free to be the person that you've called them to be...to be free from the sickness and pain that keeps them in bondage.

We ask for healing in families torn apart by addiction. We ask for protection for those family members that are in harm's way because of their loved one's addictions. Lord, everyone suffers in a family where there is addiction. Please pour out your grace, mercy and healing power on each person who has been affected by someone with an addiction.

May the chains be broken tonight, Lord. Set the captives free and please begin that healing that only you can bring. Please bring hope...give a vision of what life can be like for a person freed from pain and addiction. Lord, for every need spoken or unspoken... and you know them all, we ask for your provision.

Please bring people into their lives that will stand beside them and help them to be accountable and will help them to stay clean and free. May you restore their sense of self-worth, may they find redemption and restoration in you Lord. We praise you and thank you Lord for the work you are going to do. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen

May tonight be a night of life-altering change!
Believing in miracles for you!


Comments

  1. hang in there, whoever you are! You are in my thoughts today!! Rely on Jesus as He cares for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hardest thing for people to see is themselves. It is so much easier to place the blame on whoever is nearest to them, but an alcoholic will never blame the man/woman in the mirror until their lives are shaken to the point of change. Usually it takes a spouse to leave, a death and imprisonment caused by drunk driving, or a myriad other things. That person must look at themselves and realize they are the CAUSE of the problem!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. for anyone who has watched a loved one drink themselves to death, it is hard. To walk away, even harder. But one must do what they must. Maybe that will shake up the drinker enough that they will finally quit drinking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. to any and all who read this...for a drinker to stop drinking, they must identify with the WHAT behind the WHY. Why do I drink and what can I do to stop it, to deflect the thought of my "needing a drink." They don't really NEED it so much as they WANT it. So manythings can set them off. A beer commercial on TV. Driving by a bar or a liquor store. A fight with the wife, the boss or the kids. No sex last night? Drink! A friend let ya down? Drink! Football game on? Drink! See? So many TRIGGERS! The WHAT behind the WHY! I'm telling ya....once you can SEE it, you can DEAL with it. Is it easy? F*** no! It's hard! But that is why we do it ONE DAY AT A TIME? AA? Sure, if it works for you, go for it. Whatever it takes, the drinker must understand......it starts with YOU--the guy or Gal in the mirror. But to lose all because you can't control yourself....is it REALLY WORTH IT??? I know this...I am an alcoholic. I am also a sober drunk. Been sober for 20 months and two days now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been readin' all of your comments Andy W. and gotta say, bro...you are the best! You made it from hell to here and I'm proud of ya! From one boozer to another....because of you I also stopped drinking. It just ain't worth it to lose the wife and the kids over alcohol. She is the best thing that has happened to me....I couldn't find her again if I tried forever. God bless ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep at it! It's a day to day thing. But one day leads to another and another, then you look back and realize that you survived another day without the crutch of booze! Good fro you, to whomever is in this vicious cycle, that you have quit. My prayers for those who are still tryin'. and to the rest of you who sit in judgment...walk a mile in my shoes for a day and see where I have been! There but for the grace of God go I.

    ReplyDelete
  7. to all who read this...Andy W passed away not too long ago. He was a wonderful person who also had his own demons to deal with. I pray he is finally at peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First I read this thinking of the "qualifier" in my life. Then I believe God changed my vision to put my name in the place of where reference is made to the addict. And to put internet games, eating as entertainment and above all my addiction (I believe) and dependence on FEAR. The prayer became much more powerful as it is true, God cares about what I can change, and wants me to look inside my own heart. God has my back and God is ALSO the God of my loved ones. No need for me to believe I am in that role.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts