"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. "~ Mother Teresa


Whenever we feel "up against it," as I sometimes feel, it is so easy to wonder, "where are you, Lord? Do you not even care? Can you not see my pain?"

Believe me, friend, He sees! He has walked that path before. He knows about the human misery that has been in the world since almost the beginning of time. So, bring your cares, your worries, your "issues"....He cares.

I have a 14 year old nephew who has been giving all who know him quite the business! More so than just your "typical" 14 year old. His teachers in he past have written him off. He has delinquent tendencies that would turn many people off. Many who know him have felt that he was and is on the path of disaster! He has been known to lie, steal, fabricate stories, etc. What a handful!

He is being homeschooled now and needs  a lot of supervision due to his "tendencies." In short, this is probably the last step for him before he "could" become just another number within the state system. The road for him is long, winding and scary. I have been working with him, schooling him, but not as much in the ABC's he needs to know, but rather, in the school of life. Through example, through encouragement, through praise, I am hopeful that we can turn this ship called "potential disaster" around. But it is not without pain also, pain on my part. There have been days in which, after he has left my care, that I sit and cry. I ask God, "why did you lead me to this? I am so not worthy! How can I deal with this?" The stress of this boy's issues have me worried about the ramifications of "what if?" What if...this doesn't work out? I carry so much guilt about that. I understand that I can't control every single moment of his time with me, but I also don't have him tethered here, either. When I feel he has earned some trust, I grant him just a bit more. If needed, I'll pull back, too, when the situation calls for it. I wonder, "what would Jesus do in this situation?" I have read about Father Flanagan of Boys Town, whose attitude of "there is no such thing as a bad boy" rings so loudly in my head, I can feel him here with me now.

And the answers that I feel come from God's Presence is that He has picked the one whom He thinks can do this.

That is the way it is with all of us. No matter what the issue is that you are faced with, no matter how large, God is larger, bigger and able to walk that path with you. Are you dealing with alcoholism? God knows...and can walk with you. Drug addictions? Eating disorders? Abuse from a parent, spouse, friend? God knows. Illness? Job loss? Difficult people within your life? God knows! He KNOWS! Take your cares, your worries and lay them at His feet. Trust in Him! He will never let you down.
Go to Him now in Prayer. Lay your burdens on Him.
"God doesn't require us to succeed; he only requires that you try." ~ Mother Teresa


Comments

  1. Annie in New OrleansJune 1, 2014 at 6:15 AM

    I am the wife of an alcoholic. Believe me, the pain of watching someone you love drift down to that place in hell is one I would not wish on anyone. Yet day by day, I give it all to Him. Day by day...that is all I can handle and that is all God gives to us. Good luck, child! You have been a wonderful presence in my life as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long should we wait for inspiration to strike? How long should we wait until we are certain we’re making the right decision? How long should we wait until everything is perfectly aligned and success is guaranteed? The truth is we’ve already waited long enough. An authentic life requires action, courage, mistakes and risks because “the perfect time” is an illusion and waiting is a game we play because we’re scared....I saw this after I read your post. It rings true for what you wrote, which had me thinking that I needed to see this too and act on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Every Christian can witness to God in the workplace, not only with words, but above all with an honest life." ー Pope Francis

    ReplyDelete
  4. hopefully your nephew realizes that you are there to help, not hinder him. Good luck, Rev!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts