cherish this life, it's all you have!



Cherish is the word I use to describe
All the feeling that I have hiding here for you inside
You don't know how many times
I've wished that I had told you
You don't know how many times
I've wished that I could hold you
You don't know how many times
I've wished that I could mold you into someone who could
Cherish me as much as I cherish you
Perish is the word that more than applies
To the hope in my heart each time I realize
That I am not gonna be the one to share your dreams
That I am not gonna be the one to share your schemes
That I am not gonna be the one to share
What seems to be the life that you could
Cherish as much as I do yours
Oh, I'm beginning to think that man has never found
The words that could make you want me
That have the right amount of letters, just the right sound
That could make you hear, make you see
That you are driving me out of my mind
Oh I could say, I need you but then you'd realize
That I want you just like a thousand other guys
Who'd say they loved you with all the rest of their lies
When all they wanted was to touch your face, your hands
And gaze into your eyes
Cherish is the word I use to describe
All the feeling that I have hiding here for you inside
You don't know how many times
I've wished that I had told you
You don't know how many times
I've wished that I could hold you
You don't know how many times
I've wished that I could mold you into someone who could
Cherish me as much as I cherish you
And I do cherish you
And I do cherish you
Cherish is the word




Back in the late "60's, the folk group, The Association, had a song called "Cherish." It was and probably still  is used at many weddings, I am sure. The song is full of love and adoration and even now, when I hear it, I get all choked up at the message.

Yesterday, in a senseless act of stupidity, someone I knew died at the hands of a killer. This person was a police officer doing a routine traffic stop. Unfortunately, the person he stopped had a list of prior convictions and was on the run from his probation officer. In just a few short minutes, my friend went from maybe thinking what he'd be doing at shift's end to dying on the street. Literally.
He did not die alone; there were people at the scene who tried to help. He did not die unloved or unthought of; there were tears across the state of Minnesota, and by now, across the country as well. At his funeral, there will be many words of his caring, his thoughtfulness, his attention to his family, his occupation and life in general.

Once again, it had me thinking...how will you be remembered at your funeral? Will it be with tears...with love...or with contempt? How we live our lives NOW is what will be remembered in the hereafter. I always wonder: "am I leaving a mark on life that will be thought of later?" I try to live as if this were my last day in that I am kind, generous and helpful.

I also think of those for whom life has been hard...those who become caught up in life's excesses and, though they try, they can't seem to become unleashed from the pain and fury of alcoholism, drug abuse, homelessness or mental illness. Are they remembered? Who cries for them? Who feels pain for them? Are these the ones in life that YOU would walk away from? If so...why?

Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father's care. And even the very hairs of your head. Matthew 10:29

God knows all, He sees all...I take comfort in this verse:
God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and death shall be no more, neither shall there be anguish (sorrow and mourning) nor grief nor pain any more, ...Revelation 21:4

Why does God have to do this all by Himself? Can you also step in and help Him out? Be like Jesus for today--in fact, for everyday! Wipe the tears from the eyes of those for whom society has forgotten. It is amazing at how people will make a memorial to someone they don't know after a tragedy, think of anything in the news lately. They will lay flowers, sing an anthem and cry. But...again I ask you....what about those who live in the margins of life...who cries for them...who lays a memorial at their grave...who knows that they even EXIST?

Recognize those around you  who need you--reach out to them! Reach out, I say. It can be a word of kindness, a gesture, a prayer, a hug....it can be anything. We have so much technology at our fingertips now...we can reach out in milliseconds from right where we sit- Facebook, Twitter, to say a prayer or to offer one....to maybe make a donation to a worthy cause, to let others know that help is needed, there is so much available now, to sit and do nothing is just unconscionable!!
....Jesus, who is our greatest teacher, is standing by...and He is smiling at your efforts.

 to listen to the song, "Cherish," click HERE



 

Comments

  1. Unsung heroes are also great. There is not one person on Earth who does not have a significant impact on everyone else and, therefore, the world. You don’t have to directly engage with someone in order for him or her to have an impact on you. And vice-versa, you don’t have to engage with another in order to impact his life. If all are One, all are One.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is said that anew year brings 365 days of opportunity. However, we only have this moment to make an impact. You are so right...make the most of every chance we have to make a difference int his life!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts