it's 2 am...what are you doing right now?

Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. 1 Peter 5:7



Ah, yes. 1:47 am....I am awake because of an aching back once again, so I try to sleep on the couch so as to not wake my husband, who needs to get up at 4:30 am for work. I toss, I turn...I fret. I fret over the fact that a reduction in his pay means less income for us. The bills have me worried. The potential of "what if?" has me worried also.

I look at the clock. Bad idea! It is now 1:49 am. Heavy sigh....

It is then I see a shaft of light on the refrigerator door, the kitchen being next to the living room. It is coming from the street light outside the window. The light, incredible as it seems, is ONLY focused on the Cross that I have hanging on that door. It is a gift a dear friend made for me and is in a prominent place there. I am taken aback at the fact that the light is only focused there and nowhere else. It hits me: pray! I smile....and I pray the "Our Father." The words, "give us this day our daily bread," comfort me as I then proceed to the "Hail, Mary!" By the time I finish it, I sleepily recite the "Come, Holy Spirit" and am fast asleep. My dreams are gentle, the sleep lasts until 4 am, when it is time to start the coffee pot. I gently move the cat who was sleeping on my tummy. Time for a new day.

How many of you are also restless at night? Do you toss, turn....fret, worry? Rest easy, friend...you are not alone. You have a Friend who is watching you, who is calling you to sleep. Give yourself over to Him, all of your cares, your worries...and He will erase them from you so that you may get the rest that you deserve! Worry does no good anyway. 80% of what we worry about never happens anyway and the rest...20%...are you kidding me? 20% can be handed over to God! Between your 20% and his 20% and her 20 % and my 20% and their 20%...why that is 100% protection! God is Omnipotent! He can handle as many 20% as necessary without a blink of an eye!

Rest easy tonight. Give your 20% to God, throw the other 80% away!


from a Heavenletter  #4938 dated 07/17/2014:

God said:

Rest is not an extra. It is not a frivolous thing. Sleep is an essential element of life. As absurd as it may seem to you who drink coffee to stay awake, rest is not a distraction from your life. Sleep belongs in life. Rest and moving both have their place in life.

Think of going to bed in this way: That I tuck you in. I pull the covers up to your chin. And I watch over you as you sleep. You are well-secured in My love.

Be happy to go to sleep and happy to awake. Leap into bed, eager for sweet dreams. Jump out of bed, eager for what the day holds for you.

Life does have a claim on you, beloveds. Be for life in the world. Welcome it. Love it. Don’t argue with it. And when the day is over, be like a general who has finished his campaign. Go into the night and enjoy your retreat from the energy of the day. Enjoy your night. You can think of sleep as the cows’ returning to the barn. The day is done.

Be happy for whatever time of day or night it is.

You have a calling. You are called to the bright sun of the day and the stars and moon of the night.

 It is for you to relent because innocent nature is a great force, and it is relentless. You do not have mastery over it. Soon or late you will succumb to nature. It isn’t that nature wants to beat you. It is you who beats nature over the head.

I am telling you to get all the rest you need. Be rested when you get up in the morning and be wide-awake during the day. Early to bed and early to rise. Respect the cycles of life that occur in the world.

Comments

  1. I agree with the line about how we are the ones who beat ourselves up....we worry so much about what is beyond our control! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts