never give up--not on anyone!



 

How many of you have a friend, a relative, a spouse, a "someone" who, at first, seemed like the perfect person...perfect until you spent time with them. Of course, over time, flaws become apparent. They drink too much, cuss too much, gained weight, lost hair and just plain bored you.
What did you do? Walk away? When the trouble gets to be too much, do you turn your back on them, maybe at the time they needed a friend most?

Whoops!

It seems to be instinct, preservation of ourselves, that we turn tail and run. Just like the gazelles when they see a lion, they all scramble for safety. No one ever stops and says, hey, I got this!" and challenges the lion. That would be foolish and the lion always wins!
In the "lion" of our lives....is this you? Do you also leave when the going gets tough?

Did Jesus?

He stood beside those who were hurting. He didn't point out the fact that "you're an adulteress, so I can't help you. Sure, you're gonna get beaned big time, and it's gonna hurt...and you're gonna die. Be seein' ya!" NO! He stayed. He challenged the authorities who were set to stone her! Same with all of the other situations that He came across. He did the right thing. He provided moral support as well as Scriptural support. Jesus was and is the example that we need to follow.

Today, no matter what plagues you, be like Jesus. No matter if the person is an alcoholic, an addict...no matter if that person, who at first seemed so perfect, now has failings, stand with them! They need you probably more than they realize. Don't be so shallow as to think there is something better for you out there. What is better is to jump in with both feet and say, "I'm here!"
Amen.

Comments

  1. Loved the so real comment that Jesus COULD have made! You make reading these sermons so interesting...you obviously have been around the block a few times and I appreciate that. You are like one of us! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a friend who just announced that he is going in for alcoholic treatment. I reminded him that we'll still be here, we are his friends and that we all are human. I hope that he appreciate that during his 28 days in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people "want" us to give up on them, as if to say "there I've done it, see the world is crap." Sticking it out with someone like this is a challenge but you remind me all over again there is something on the other side of their pushing and pushing away...they need to learn how to receive, and day by day in accepting them maybe a little more light is breaking through to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enthralled, I also had many many MANY people just give up on me. I drank to escape that pain...then even MORE people left me. I lost my wife and daughter to a drunk driver. How ironic, right? I drank even more. My adult son was ready to toss me out as I had nowhere else to go. It was the Reverend here who helped me see the wroth of myself. She and her rob, as she calls him, made me see that I am still loved despite my unloveliness. I am now sober by 220 days! My son and I remain close and I have a job, a small apartment of my own, so many things that I would not have if not for the fact that SOMEONE loved me! I give her all credit...she just tells me it's all God and she is just working for Him. Because I have "been there, done that," tell whoever you may know that when folks feel unlovable.....there are others who love unconditionally and will not give up...no matter what.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts