what is your Goliath?

“Giants are not what we think they are. The same qualities that appear to give them strength are often the sources of great weakness.”
Malcolm Gladwell, David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants 


As we go throughout our lives, we encounter many stressors. Illness, job loss, toxic relationships, death, loss of friends...I could go on, but you see my point. None of us are immune to the daily grind of being alive. If just normal functioning isn't enough, let's toss something else into the fray: how about realizing that the one you love is an addict or alcoholic. How about losing a job AND having your house foreclosed on? Or realizing that your retirement savings has just been swallowed up by a falling stock market and a stagnant economy. Your heart beats into overtime....you fret, pray and maybe even panic. What to do? What to do?

Like David, you stand before what you see as a giant....and all you have is a silly rock.


I have had many moments such as this. Times when I wonderd how the kids would get fed when money was so tight and I was already working two or three jobs to provide. The car just broke down and  the mechanic wants what seems like a million dollars that you just don't have to repair it. Times when the night seems so long, dark and cold and you are saddled with the realization that there is no one to take your fears to...or is there?
Yes there is!

Talk to God. Go ahead, He is listening. Tell Him all about what makes you tremble. Tell Him how much you cry. Tell Him that you feel up against "it" and have not one clue as to how to solve this one.
God listens. Have patience...be still and know that He is God! He can take a nothing and make it a something! Look at the darkness we now know as the Universe. Add some stars, a few planets, some suns, rotate everything...mix well and serve! Voila! Our solar system was born.

No matter what you are up against....be confident that you can face it. You really can! Between you and God...you got this!

 

Comments

  1. Huge breath: my Goliath is knowing that I caused so many people hurt when I drank. My wife an daughter died at the hands of a drunk driver. Now if that don't make one quit drinking, nothing will. My Goliath is feeling the hurt of how I wasted so many years drunk instead of spending time with them. Now they are gone and I have only myself to blame. Thank you for this post. I am always looking for ways to reach my inner child....I know that I will be forgiven at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister committed suicide back in 1975. I saw the signs...I knew she was depressed. What the doctors figured out afterwards was that she was depressed because she was a teenager who was pregnant and our parents laid down the law about sex before marriage. I only wish they had been more open to the fact that kids will be stupid and need their parents, not the judgment! I still miss her everyday. We lost not one, but three lives--she was pregnant with twins!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts