to all who are hurting...for all of us...you are free to soar!

 

I have been asked, "what is the most painful situation that you could imagine that can happen to someone?" Oh, there are many, believe me. We put ourselves into situations...or situations are brought to us, that we would never have believed we could ever find peace in. I think of how, 25 years ago, an eleven year old boy was kidnapped...in broad daylight...while the other two children that he was with were told to leave the scene immediately by the kidnapper. Yes, Jacob Wetterling, of St Joseph, MN has yet to be found. His mother, Patty, went on to become a powerful advocate for child welfare, speaking out about this horrible crime. I believe that in the turmoil of the worst storm imaginable, she found solace in making sure that another parent would not feel her pain.

Yesterday, we buried my husband's beloved uncle. And by "beloved," I mean.....truly loved and cared for. He was such an active person in so many things...so many have fond memories of his presence while he was here. He truly left his place in a tiny town of central Minnesota. A place full of rolling fields, fields dotted with cows in pastures and nothing but peace, tranquility...even the lakes were as still as glass...reflecting the dark clouds of the day. How does one get through a funeral when all about us was sadness, hearts heavy with misery? It was like this: I focused on the church bells that pealed, on friends and family who hugged and gathered and shared tears and stories. You take it one moment...even one breath at a time, trusting that God is with you. That day was so hard for my husband....he is such a sensitive person and for him to be at the funeral of someone he loved was heartrending, to be sure. He is, however, a lesson in why we do not put off doing for someone what can be done while they are still here. All of the promises of "I'll call him tomorrow, we will get together soon..." have faded away and all he has left is the guilt of "why didn't I...?" As I held his hand, I could only pray in silence, as he did not want to hear words filled with platitudes. He could not bring himself to approach his uncle to pay his last resepcts, so great was his pain. As I sang softly to the song, "On Eagles' Wings," I prayed also for my husbands pain...and for all who were present...to have their tears float up on those wings as well...to sail off on the breath of dawn and find God's Hand.

The most amazing thing that I witnessed...on that dreary, rainy day (and Hollywood seems to have it right when funeral scenes are filmed...it IS raining!) just beyond the grave site, was a small farm. This is a bucolic little town that Norman Rockwell would have coveted, actually. On that farm was a beautiful bay horse. Despite the rain that fell, the horse cantered around his paddock, only to return time and again to the proceedings. I smiled at that...of how, in the time of true sadness, how a creature of God could find delight in just "being" in that moment of rain. Then came the moment when six white doves were to released. I was blessed to have held one of those birds. As I held it, twice it looked back at me. I prayed for the soul of the departed to be free also...to find his peace. Then came the moment when all six were let go. They soared over that tiny little farm, with the horse still cantering around and always coming back to the side of the grave, looking over. Those birds sailed on towards a grove of pine trees beyond, then circled back and flew right over our heads! It was truly amazing and brought smiles out of tears. Those raindrops? Tears from heaven, yes, but tears of gladness! Of freedom! Tears of joy!

It is hard to bid goodbye to those we love, whether due to a move...or to something as permanent as death. But it is in death that we have our eternal life. Jesus died for us and bought our souls. By His Cross and Resurrection, He has redeemed the world! That is a promise to all of us. He is the Way, the Truth and the Life. No matter what your sorrow is....forgive yourself. Forgive others. Realize that this is a brand new day. If you have an issue with someone, go to that person. Make it right. It is too late to do so at a funeral. Mend hurts, heal souls. Make amends. You have that power within you to do it. Why put it off?



The Lord Is My Shepherd  A Psalm of David.

23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
    He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.

Comments

  1. This was rob's uncle? tell him I said that time will heal...just give it time and to be kind to himself. It's only when we drown in alcohol that the pain is magnified. See it for what it is...it is life...I learned this the hard way. That is why I drank so much after my wife and daughter died in that car wreck. I almost lost it all. He can do this. Tell him his old buddy Andy cares!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy, you are a blessing to the soul. I passed your message on to rob....you made his day just a bit brighter.

      Delete
  2. Your story about the doves and the horse as well as the song and your prayers is a beautiful picture of how the Lord watches over us that are left here on earth giving us comfort, showing us we are not alone, He does care for us we are His lambs and He will not leave us in pain...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that wonderful comment. I truly felt at peace in that wonderful stillness while the rain fell down. I know that God does care....and He is always near!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts