what are YOU doing for the "least among you?"

 As you may have heard, 90-year-old Arnold Abbott has been facing multiple citations and arrests for feeding the homeless in Ft Lauderdale, FL. He is continuing to feed his fellow brothers and sisters like a hero. If wealthy people are allowed to eat at the beach, the homeless should be too.



and Jesus said, "whatsoever you do to the least of me, you do for me..."

In the news lately is a 90 year old chef from Fort Lauderdale, Florida who was arrested for feeding the homeless. The city of Fort Lauderdale is against this, saying that it detracts from the tourism that the city is known for to have homeless people accepting "free food."

In other news, no longer is the US military able to receive Christmas card greetings sent to troops either here in the USA or overseas due to security concerns. This would include all VA hospitals, military bases, etc.

I just don't get it.

How can one be a missionary of mercy during this time of such distrust, greed and hatred towards all? Isn't Christmas all about "peace on earth, goodwill to men?" Isn't that how the song went when I was so young (and naive)? Although I grew up during the Viet Nam conflict, the Watergate scandal and other newsworthy events, there was still that level of compassion. Of doing to others as you'd want for them to do unto you. Of turning the other cheek. Now, to have a frail looking man feeding the hungry on a strip of beach in a city known to welcome everyone is considered a "crime."
I do believe that even God is shaking His head at this one.

When I realized yesterday the new "rules" concerning the sending of holiday greetings to our wonderful troops abroad, I also hung my head in tears and frustration. Not only did I spend an afternoon filling out cards, my husband sat with me also. My nephew worked with me on this project just a few days before. There it was, a pile of fifty cards, ready for mailing. After much research and inquiry, I was able to locate a place that will accept the cards, with stipulations that the greetings will stay here in the US, but after this year, even they will no longer be involved in this. The risk is just too great, I was told, to have these troops open what could be a bomb, a letter with poison, or even to read a threat against them in what seems to be an innocent card.

And that is all it is for me, an innocent but heartfelt way to show my appreciation, just as it is with this chef who wants to care for those who have nothing.

I know that I hammer it home to you, my dear followers, time after time, to do good, to reach out, to go beyond the scope of what you can only see. But today, due to fears of terrorism, our vision is becoming myopic in that we are being "taught" that all people have malice in their hearts. Yes, I understand security concerns but when we feed into that fear, it breeds, it grows, it manifests itself in ugly ways. Perhaps what we need to do, what we ought to do, is to stand up and say through our actions, that we are working for the  poor the downtrodden, for those who have nothing in this world except the kindness of a stranger.

Your challenge is to seek out those who need comfort from the ravages of this world. Is there someone who is hungry? Feed them! Is there someone who is naked? Clothe them! Is there someone who is locked away in a nursing home? Go visit them! Even when you are out and about, take that extra minute to acknowledge someone with the gift of a smile or a kind word. Hold the door open, pay for the  coffee of one behind you, grab that check for the table across from you, pick up trash laying about your street, console someone who is suffering through addictions or alcoholism! And when you leave a tip, who cares about 10% or 15%? Leave what is generous for someone who is also just trying to get through Life! Do you see? These are the things that Jesus has already asked us to do! It isn't enough to live out the Ten Commandments, we must also love one another as we would want to be loved. By doing this, we also show love for God!
How hard is that?
How easy can it be?
Your choice!

Comments

  1. I can remember sitting in Barker Park in Troy as a kid with my Mom giving out boxes of chocolate covered cherries (her favorite) to the homeless. This seems absolutely crazy with all the real crimes being committed? Very disheartening. I wonder what the police officers were thinking as they arrested this kind hearted man repeatedly for breaking such a ridiculous law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. one point that I'd like to mention is that Arnold Abbot is also a WW2 veteran. Maybe ask him about why troops can't receive Christmas cards! There used to be censors who checks mail going out of country...what, did they get cut in the effort to save a few dollars?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just keep doing what you're doing, Reverend...you keep finding a way...be that example for us all. I'll have the rest of you know...she can move mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  4. not a sissy anymore!November 17, 2014 at 5:22 AM

    Been waiting a week for your post, Rev! I love your words and kick ass attitude!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Mother of Perpetual Help, have mercy on me and inspire your Church so that it may lead your children safely with nothing to fear."
    For all of us...let us continue to look for need and to address it accordingly. Thank you for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  6. no more Christmas cards? That is just insane. Reminds me of the line from "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa" "No more Christmas?" The world is getting colder...the compassion levels are falling so precipitously. We relied on those CARE packages from home. We LIVED for them!! I too am shaking my head.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts