nobody is born racist....

 


This has been a post in the making for a few days now...in my mind. After reading all of the news, seeing what has been put on social media, etc, it needs to be said.

Two years ago, after my hysterectomy, I had a nurse who checked me into my hospital room, took all of the required notes and asked if I needed anything. I was in so much pain, I said "no," hoping to just be able to get some sleep. About two hours later, I was in tears. Miraculously, she walked in. Seeing what was happening, she helped me out of bed and, taking me on her arm, carrying my catheter bag, we slowly walked down the hall. All the while, I apologized for "being such a pest" as tears flowed quietly down my cheeks. She smiled and continued to hold me. I felt so safe. We made it back to my room and she gave me a wonderful back rub that took away most of the pain that I had felt. All the while, she told me of her life, of how she had to escape from Kenya with her husband, coming to America to begin a new life, so she became a nurse. To me, she was my angel of my hospital stay and I hugged her before she finished her shift. I will never forget her for the kindness she gave to me. Prescia, you are a saint.

In my new little town on the prairie, there is a sweet gal working for just above minimum wage here at the dollar store. She is so patient with her customers, always respectful and calls everyone "love," or "honey" or "precious." I love to see her when I check out and make small talk. Tina, you are an angel of the prairie and don't ever forget that!

When my kids were in high school, there was an assistant principal who took each and every child under his wing and instead of castigating them, had a way of making them feel validated. His hearty laugh, his manner of respect is one that I will always hold dear. I always looked forward to seeing him while I worked there as a "lunch lady" because to view him while he worked was priceless. Mr Hamilton Bell, you will always have a special place in my heart. By the way, my firstborn son, for all of his wily ways, should have been given lots of after school detention time--boys being boys--yet Mr. Bell, also realizing this...mentored him in a kind and loving way. I truly was/am grateful.

What do these folks all have in common? There are more in my life who have held a place of high esteem....yet just because of what is happening all around us, I mention them. They are black. And only because of what is in the news do I make this distinction. Does anyone remember the movie, "To Sir, With Love"? In that movie, Sidney Poitier played a black teacher in an east London poor school. He is taunted just because of who he is, yet he persevered...and in the end, his students all respected him.

Why do we have to point out skin color? Isn't it enough to know that we are all one in Christ? That God made us in His likeness and image? As someone once said, "whoo-boy, what if we get to heaven and God is black?" So what indeed! Or purple, or polka dotted...or anything??? maybe He has three eyes, twelve noses and ....you get the point.

"Love one another, as I have loved you."
Whatever you have done for the least of Me, you have done it for Me."
Truly I tell you, there is no greater love than this, than he who lays down his life for a friend!"

Jesus told us to not make the distinction between who is or who isn't this or that...remember the Good Samaritan? In His day, men couldn't even speak to women, yet there He was, dining with them! Forgiving them! Speaking to them at a well! Allowing one to spread expensive perfume on his feet! Oh my! SCANDALOUS!!!!

To have peace, we must SHOW PEACE! BE PEACEFUL! Have MERCY!
Why can we not be so? Why must we get on the proverbial media poop pot, when all we do is stir up the masses. Haven't we had enough pain? Hasn't the last fifty years taught us ANYTHING?
Today...show peace to all that you meet. Be like Jesus today....our world needs more heroes!!

Comments

  1. you are a peacefilled person...thank you for reminding us...sometimes we lose sight and forget. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew a little kitty could cause such mischief! She is a good source of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts