the gratitude jar

 


I have next to my desk an Mason jar with a lid that has a slit in it. Each day, I write on a slip of paper the things that I am grateful for, all addressed to my hubby. That in itself is a discipline, to remember to do that. At first it felt awkward as I tried to come up with some justification to put another piece of paper in the jar. As I look at it now, however, I am buoyed by those pieces of paper and actually, it is becoming easier to find little things to compliment him on that to me, are the big things.

For instance, I have been working on a manuscript for the past six months or so. This involved doing a lot of research. I have encouraged him to read it as well. I was finishing it up and I appreciate as many outside comments as possible. I trust his opinion.

Enter Demon Cat.

I wrote about her last month. She who gets into so much trouble and even hid the Baby Jesus from me at Christmas time. She stepped on the keyboard while my husband briefly took the dogs outside. When he returned there was just a grey screen. And no manuscript.

When he told me, I tried to find it. Instead all I found was page after page of hashtags....and nothing else.

I was disappointed yes. All that work...gone. Did I blame him? No. Instead I reassured him that I would keep trying to find it, no worries. Yes I felt sick inside, but what can one do? What's gone is gone. Like spilled milk, you just wipe up the mess and go a different way.

I spent hours looking on that computer, vowing to not give up. Then someone called me about...this book that I am putting together...or was. She made a comment and I relayed to her what had happened. "Oh," she said confidently, "just look in your other folders. It probably was just "put" someplace else. It's there, but in a different file. Try that." So...I did.

And...I did fine it! whoo-hoo! and WHEW!

When my husband was looking for work last year, I panicked at first, then I began to write down the blessings of each day, from a sunny day with birds singing to being grateful for every returned potential phone call, telling us that he had a new job. Each day that list grew longer and it kept me sane. I could see where and how God was leading us. I could see that we were provided for. I know of so many who think that to win the lottery would solve all their problems. To me, winning "the lottery" is just seeing a sunrise, a full moon, watching children play, and being around those who I love.

Jesus tells us time and again that He is with us. He knows about sparrows and sheep and of course, He cares for us deeply as well.

 Psalm 121:3 says, "He will not allow your foot to slip, He who keeps you will not slumber."
Another one that we are all familiar with is Psalm 23, "The Lord is my Shepherd, I will not want..."
Luke 12:30 "...for your Father knows that you need these things.."
Matthew 10:30-31. Luke 12:7. Isaiah 49:15. Psalm 103:13-14. I could go on, but you get the point. We are reassured time after time, in both Testaments, that God cares for us. So why should we panic?

My favorite is 1 Peter 5:7 "Cast all your anxieties on Him...because He cares for you!"

I encourage one and all to do this. Get a jar, a box, something that will hold at least a year's worth of paper. Take several 8x11 sheets of paper, cut them into strips. Write down daily what you are grateful for. It can be about anything. It is more fun though, to write them about someone. At the end of the year, share those words with those people. You will get so many smiles, from them as well as you. You see, gratitude is both a gift AND a blessing. What you give away always comes back to you. You will be blessed many times over. I guarantee it!
He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber. - See more at: http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/God~s-Care#sthash.6ncD7GLW.dpuf
He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber. - See more at: http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/God~s-Care#sthash.6ncD7GLW.dpuf

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts