have you seen an angel lately?






I have noticed that whenever I do book signings, I seem to have more "power" when I am standing behind my table as opposed to standing in front of it. It is as if that table gives me a sense of security- I have built my "wall" and as long as others are on the other side of it, all the better. It was true in high school speech classes as well, as long as I had that podium, I could tackle any subject with ease. Without that podium, I was a bowl of Jell-o in an earthquake!

At my last book signing, however, there was a gal who came to my table. She said she had been "looking for me," as she had a message she wanted to tell me. As soon as I heard it, I stepped out from behind that table and embraced her in a wonderful hug. By letting down my guard, I could sense her words and feelings that much better. We became one in thought and feeling, even if just for those few precious moments. When she left, I once more resumed my post.

Why is it that we feel we need to build barriers in order to feel "safe?" Our barriers are not always a table, sometimes it can also be barriers between those with money and those who do not. We choose to live in towns and neighborhoods with like minded people. We hang out with those who say what we want to hear, who believe what we believe. We feel uncomfortable if we are asked to be with another who is of a different race, a different country, or even different religious beliefs. More wars have been fought because of a difference of opinion, either politically or religiously, than for any other reason.

When Jesus was doing His ministry, He walked among those who made others feel uncomfortable. He taught about Jews getting along with Samaritans, about fathers and their wayward sons, about women in general. He ate with tax collectors! He had women friends! He healed SINNERS, for heaven's sake! He forgave sins on the Sabbath and didn't condemn a woman who was caught in the act of adultery. How positively scandalous!

If Jesus could do all of that--then what the heck is wrong with each one of us? I am just as guilty as you are! There are times when I see a person of a different race in my neighborhood and, for a fleeting moment, wonder "what is he doing here?" Is this true of you: do you hear about immigrants on the news and sometimes cringe? While it is true that we all were immigrants at some time, we seem to forget that even during His life, Jesus was also an immigrant as He moved from place to place. Was He welcomed? Not always.

Let's challenge ourselves. Pay attention to what happens around you and to your own thoughts as well. When you see a homeless person, do you curl your lip and walk on by? When you are confronted by alcoholism, do you turn away? When a new person comes into your midst, do you act as if you don't wish to know them?

We are all travelers in this miserable place called earth. It is miserable for one reason and one reason only: because we refuse to recognize Christ in all we meet. We don't want to be bothered by the effort it would take to get to know another. We don't want to give up our comfort zone to someone else. We step behind a table of our own making and dare anyone to cross. We put up fences in our backyards, in our communities, in our countries. We demand visas to all who dare to enter. We click the lock on our soul and pocket the key.

In some instances, we make damn sure we go so far as to lose that key, so that we will never be bothered with it again.

Hebrews 13:1-3 admonishes us this:  "Let love of the brethren continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it. Remember the prisoners, as though in prison with them, and those who are ill-treated, since you yourselves also are in the body.…"

Hmmm...entertaining angels unawares. If an angel crossed your path, would you know it? Would you recognize one if you saw one?

Well, that person you just ignored, the one you drove past, the one you kept your head down for or looked away from....
that was an angel.
How do you feel now?

Comments

  1. I enjoy your writings but rarely see comments posted. Is it because what you have pointed out is so profound that people can't handle seeing themselves in print? Whatever the case, keep on writing, keep on saying what we need to hear. You tell it in such a non judgmental way. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts