what do you worry about?




Worry. It is said that worry can take years from your life. It can literally take inches as well. In my family, I am the shortest...yes...THE shortest-- because in all of my growing up years...I worried.
We were very poor. This was back before the Food Stamp program and all of the other social programs that we have in place today. Dad was a barber when the Beatles set foot in America, pretty much putting an end to short hair cuts! So...I worried whenever I heard him balance the checkbook as he'd wonder where the money was coming from. "Will we lose our house?" I'd ask. "Not unless your mother would quit spending money faster than I can  make it!" he'd gruffly reply. And my mom could spend money! Thus...I worried.

We moved ten times in my first seventeen years. Ten times. I didn't mind it when I was younger- to me, it was a chance to meet new people and live in other houses. By the time I had reached high school, however, this moving stuff was getting out of hand! Thus, I worried...about making new friends, about fitting in, about lots of things.

Got married too young...and worried. Had kids...after trying for almost eight years with no success (more worry!) I suddenly had four children in five years. Now I worried about how I would be as a mom, what if "something" happened and we'd be either homeless, jobless or something else. Although none of that ever came to fruition....I still worried. Though God was always there for me in all of my travails, I would worry about "what if someday He forgets about me? Then what?"

I am now in my early 50's and I admit...I still am a worrier. My husband makes fun of me. He says that if ever I'd NOT have something to worry about is the day I'll roll over and die.

I tell myself that all I need to do is to let go and let God. That when God closes a door, He always opens a window. People ask me where I'll be in five years. "Five years?" I ask, "why, in only one year my life could change just like that!"(snaps fingers) and it has been known to do that.

How about you? Do you worry? Do you lay awake at night and fret? Is a five year plan beyond the scope of reality for you?

When my husband lost his job about two years ago, I thought he'd get another just like that (snaps fingers). It didn't happen. It took a lot of patience and ingenuity to get where we are today...it also took about eight months, but when it all came together, it happened just like...that! (snaps fingers).

Jesus is not a magician. He does not just snap His fingers to make life easier for us. Even in His own life, He prayed...and waited...and asked. But He also told His followers, "ask and ye shall receive!" There have been many times when I have knocked...and waited for that proverbial door to open. Again though, remember, that when God CLOSES a door, He opens a window, So, though I knocked, it turned out that I was knocking on the wrong door, on the one that had closed. I should have looked for that open window instead! I remember that as I knocked...I would cry out of frustration. I would beg, plead and cajole and yes, I admit, I made a few bargains. What we need to realize is that God does not bargain. He gives and will give freely when the time is right....when He sees that all the pieces will fit into place, only then will He welcome us in!

All we need to do is to approach Him with prayer and supplication. "Ask and ye shall receive!" If He feeds the birds, how much more will He give to you!"

Learn from me...don't be such a worrier! I could have been at least five foot ten inches tall, just like the rest of my family. Instead, I am five foot three --on a good day!
"Give your cares to God...for He cares for you!"

Comments

Popular Posts