what does peace sound like?



I first heard the Simon and Garfunkel tune, "Sounds of Silence" back when I was about 11 years old. When I was growing up, there was a lot of uncertainty in my life. A lot. I worried and stressed about so much; my folks moved many times, money was extremely tight and there were not as many social net programs then as there are now to catch one. When you fell...you fell. Yet that song seemed to lift me out of the muck and mire of my thoughts. It's quiet message buoyed me. I remember when I was about 13, climbing a very high hill that was near my house., I had thought that if I could climb as high as possible, that God would hear me better. It was peaceful there. I'd found a source of serenity. I would pray to God....and in time, found solace. I "knew" that I had been heard.

Today's world is becoming more scary by the day. Bombings in Paris, followed by news reports that other certain cities are next, while our country's leaders try to calm the masses so that there is no panic.

Panic, no we do not need to panic, but we do and must be ready. Like the proverbial turtle with it's head inside a shell, to live in denial is just as bad as sounding a constant alarm. Our lives should be like the school fire drills, remember those? Practice until you realize that when the real event occurs, you'll know exactly where to go and what to do.

Life is like that. When your relationship with God is secure, you will know that when the "real event" comes along, you'll know exactly what to do.

Yes, I know all about the events that can broadside us. Those seemingly small things that affect us only, such as loss of a family member or friend, or a job loss, a sudden move...or more. I have heard from many people who say that in those times of darkness, they can't hear God. In order to hear Him, you need to walk with Him daily. He is that life jacket that you wear each and every time you are in that boat. When you spend time with him, you will know exactly what His Voice sounds like. You will have no fear, for His Voice reassures you that this too, shall pass.

"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me." ~John 10:27

Back in the days of Jesus, He spoke in parables. The people then were very simple folk, all they knew were sheep, vineyards and fish! So Jesus spoke to them in a way they could relate to. This in NO WAY implied that they were stupid, just innocent. Much like a shepherd understands his flock and does all he can to protect them, so God is with us. But in order for us to know and understand that, we must spend time with Him to HEAR Him! How can a voice comfort you if you assume it may be a stranger instead? Think of a child who cries out in the middle of the night? Not recognizing the soothing words of a parent, it may feel fear instead, lashing out in anxiety. When I was young--and anxious, I had learned that to go to God in supplication, that somehow I would be heard. I came to rely on Him as my Source of Solace.

My friends, I know all about the happenings in our sad world today. But if you listen to the constant news media reports, it will only drag you down even more. Listen instead for His Voice, the One who can offer solace. Instead of acting on fear, perform acts of kindness to all you meet. Offer as much unconditional love towards the ones who need that hug, that kind word, that sense of peace that lets them know that they, too have been heard. 

Yes the world IS scary, but in actuality, it has been for a very long time. We must draw together as one, for as sheep also know, there is safety in numbers. Turn to the Voice of the Shepherd. In Him, there lies your peace.
May you have a blessed day.
Amen.

Comments

  1. We can rely on the voice of our government leaders, but they have proven us wrong before. One can get all political, but when you remember that Jesus had said that His Kingdom was NOT of this world, that puts it into perspective. It allows us to take a step back and realize that our man made governments are neither as strong or as reliable as God's own government. Pray, "Thy Kingdom come...Thy will be done...on earth as it is in heaven!" Not my will...but THY will...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts