what hurdles lay ahead of you?






"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." (James 1:2-5, NIV).

"Pure joy..." What did I just read? Pure joy when we face trials? I don't know about you, but I tend to panic, to shake with worry, to tremble....yet we are told to do just the opposite!

I have seen much lately...too much. Maybe because of this, I know, because I have trod that path, what others are also dealing and can empathize.

I know of a gal whose mother is having health issues. This gal comes to work bearing a heavy burden. She tries to smile, but deep inside, she is hurting. All I can do is to offer her hugs and encouraging words and sometimes....all I can do is to listen. I cannot "fix" her problems...and maybe that is OK...sometimes we all need to shoulder that burden alone. It isn't fair, I know...but when one looks back, we can see how bearing that load has made us stronger! It prepares us for what lies ahead.

As the above Scripture continues, it says to "ask God...and it will be given." Yes indeed. Ask God! Go to God! It really is Ok and not a sign of weakness to go somewhere private and share your feelings with Him. Cry if you must! Feeling hurt? Tell Him! Feeling alone? Tell Him! Feeling out of control? By all means, TELL HIM! Do you think He doesn't care? My friend, He cares! Just as Jesus felt the agony in the Garden and prayed, "let this cup pass from Me, yet not as My will....but THY will be done!" so should we! It is NOT a weakness to cry out in our need. It is not necessary, as some saints of old did, to wear sackcloth and flog oneself on a daily basis! Our lives are complicated enough that it seems as if we are already flogged. Why add to that?

In a fairy tale world, it would be wonderful if we all could live "happily ever after!" But that is not the case. It seems that just as we clear one hurdle, up ahead is another one. But ask God to get you over that one also. Focus only on just that one hurdle you see. It is not beneficial to worry about the others, just get over what you can handle. And should you feel as if you are flying...could it be that God has lifted you up and is carrying you?

You are "in it to win it!" You are not alone. I promise.

Comments

Popular Posts