who or what rescues YOU?






It was reported that last week, an avalanche struck a small mountain town in Italy, trapping 30 people in a small inn high up on a mountain. At last count, nine people perished with more being found alive, including small children and some puppies. One survivor recounted how, once buried under the snow, ice and debris, there was total darkness--no light, absolutely no sound, nothing for the four days he was trapped.

I read that and pondered. What would MY reaction have been, stuck alive under more than 30 feet of snow? I know I would have felt indescribable fear of never being found, or  dying before I was rescued. The fact that there was no light or sound, either...the claustrophobia in me would have been my undoing.

This is a metaphor, however, for what some people feel in life. The world goes by, revolving on its axis. People wake up, they go to work, they do recreational activities, they eat, sleep, play, hang out with friends. For others, however, there are situations that keep them feeling as though they are in a huge void, no light...no hope. Day after day.

Who or what rescues them?

I have been in that situation. For the first 42 years of my life, though on the outside, I appeared happy, no one knew just what I was going through internally. My home life was horrible. As the days went by, one by one, I saw any chance of hope for a new and better day slowly recede..until I felt as if there were nothing left.

BUT!.....I made that knot and hung on! I knew that as long as God was "there," I could get through just one more day...and one more day after that. As Psalm 40:2 says, 
"He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand."



Impressive, right? All it took was that small bit of faith to set me free. Faith, the same faith that can move a mountain!  Even if it is a mountain of snow and ice, high up on a hill. Many who survived said that they held God close in prayer. I am sure that in the silence of that perilous moment, they felt God's presence as they kept the faith, knowing that rescuers were doing all they could to find them.

Today, whatever storm buries you, know that you are never alone! Whatever...storm! Name your storm, tell God how big your storm is....then tell your storm how big your God is! Miracles DO happen. Trust me.

Comments

Popular Posts