sometimes it takes nine lives..to save one! meet Bob!


"Bob" with his owner, James Bowden


Normally I don't write movie reviews, but in this case, there is a movie currently on Netflix that, if you haven't seen it, you should.

It is titled, "A Streetcat Named Bob." It is the story of a drug addict who has hit rock bottom. Homeless and hungry, he finds a stray cat who gives him the motivation to rise...and although he faces quite an uphill journey, his desperation to never go back down is what gives this film credence. I won't give away the ending, but suffice it to say, I cried buckets!

It is a great film also for us...those of us who watch as the ones we love deal with their addictions and struggles. Believe it when I say, no one ever wakes up one day and PLANS to become addicted. They are pulled in, ever so subtly and then, like a roaring dragon, find themselves in so deep.


I am not advocating that alcohol or drug use is OK, for it never is. What I have always advocated for (and wrote several books about) is how we react to another's addictions. Compassion should always be our goal. Hate the addiction, yes, but feel for the one addicted. Unless you are being physically abused (in which case, make safety your #1 priority!) seek as much help as YOU can to understand the "why" behind not only the one addicted, but yourself as well. Take it from me, I have been there, that's why I'm here. I know...I have survived and am all the better for it. 


One day at a time, people...one day at a time.


Comments

Popular Posts