come, follow Me...and I will give you rest!



 It is a serious time of upheaval in our country and world today. Like a house of cards, the bottom layers must support the top. The side layers must also provide support and it only takes ONE breath, one slight move...to knock it all down.

It used to be that one could speak of politics and, unless it was a family event, such as Thanksgiving, there would be a rousing chorus of yeas and nays, but in the end, everyone could go home, no feelings were hurt and life went on.

No more.

Now, you MUST be one side OR the other. You MUST walk the talk, you MUST be willing to live and die on your opinions and responses.

Huh?

A few days ago, I posted on social media a video of a political candidate, currently running now, but also back in the 1988 election. He was using, in his speech, words taken from others that he did not give credit to, to make himself sound more convincing. Back then, he was roundly rebuked by media and lost the race. Now, however, for that same video to make the rounds of social media has drawn the ire, the ANGER of those who support him towards others who are against him! They want to believe the lie that he will make a great candidate who has the better interests of all at heart.

So when I posted that, with no opinion of my own, one comment that was made by someone was how I was now "disrespected by posting that sh*t." (quote)

All I was doing, and will do, is present both sides, letting others make their own choices. Yet I am now dishonored...because I don't walk that chalk line straight.

I thought this morning, as I took my dog on his early walk, about how Jesus also was misunderstood. The political climate then was also like a spark in a dry forest. The Roman empire would not tolerate anyone attempting to revolt and crucifixion was their response to that.  A visible sign for all that one does not attempt to mock the ruler, who was Caesar!

Many were enamored of the miracles He performed, though the Pharisees claimed that magicians could do the same thing. Everything that Jesus did, they could do better. Raising a dead person, though, that one had them stumped.

The people of that time also seemed to glean towards Jesus only for what He could do for them, not for what He stood for. Heal the sick? Alright! Feed the hungry? Well, of course, pull up a chair! But when He began to speak of more serious stuff, they turned a blind eye. They only wanted what suited them, what worked for them, what didn't cost THEM, even if it cost Jesus...His life! But...but...but...He was giving His life so that WE, ungrateful as we are, could HAVE life, have it abundantly and forever. All we had to do was...shhh, can you keep a secret? (I sure hope not!) We had to believe in Him! He is the Way...and the Truth...and the Life. "Anyone who believes in Me shall not perish, but have eternal life" He reminded us. Just give up ALL that you have and follow Him. 

Give up ALL that you have.

Give up the lifestyle for which you have, that comforts you and take on something uncomfortable--for now...because the reward is life eternal.

Yeah...sounds great, but I'll pass.

What?!

Because it is hard. I am speaking from experience. I, who am a secular Franciscan, live that life of poverty, chastity and obedience. I have given it all up so that I can be closer to Him. And when I have what seemed like, overstepped "my" bounds...no, what I am doing is making others aware that if they, too can step away from the promises of this world and step INTO the promises of Christ, they will rejoice...even if others tell them they have disrespected them.

 Disrespected only the worldly expectations set forth for them by OTHERS...not by God.

Yes, that road to heaven IS narrow and few ARE the ones finding it. But...I have found it.

Will you please...would you care to join me?


Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts