whom do you trust?



"Cast all your cares on Him, for He cares for you!" 1 Peter 5:7



I was petsitting for a friend this weekend. She has quite the array of animals, including two sheep. The sheep share the same pen and fenced in pasture as their two hunting dogs and all seem to get along well. This morning, I brought the two dogs their food pans as the sheep milled around also, looking for food. "Do you want to eat?" I asked them, "I'm sure you do," laughing at my joke (ewe...you, get it?) I went in ther barn in search of corn and found it. Filling a bowl, I brought it to them and scattered it on the ground. They began to eat just as a blue pickup pulled in. It was the father of my friend's husband. Robert is 81 years old with wise, kind eyes, eyes that have seen a lot. I told him of how I fed the sheep, as they seemed hungry. He related a story in which one of the ewes was one of three born this past Spring, born with a leg and hip disability in which it was thought it would be better if she were euthanized.

Robert said it was his son, Todd who worked with her every day, strengthening her leg muscles so that she could walk properly. Looking at her, I never would have even suspected she was disabled. That is what good care and determination can do.

As I drove home, I related that to Jesus, the Good Shepherd. Of how He wants us all, as imperfect as we are, to allow Him into our hearts so that He can heal us. He can work miracles in situations others may give up on. "I am the Good Shepherd. I know my sheep and my sheep know My Voice," he reassures us. Sheep aren't the brightest of creatures, yet are so trusting if they know who they can rely on.

In other Scriptures, Jesus refers to separating the sheep from the goats. Anyone who has had goats know they can be surly, stubborn, independent, insisting on getting their own way. They listen only when it suits them and many times, it doesn't! Back in Jesus' day, He referred to things His followers could identify with, thus sheep, goats, grapes, vineyards, wine, etc. He was making a point using parables to bring His listeners in. So yes, sheep versus goats. They understood.

How about you, which are you? There are those who feel because they are young, they have all the time in the world to get back to Jesus. "Let me have my fun," they say. But like the man who tore down his barns to build bigger ones, who ignored the warnings of Jesus, who felt as if he too, had all the time in the world, time caught up to him. In the days of Noah, no one believed...and time caught up to them. On and on throughout history, we think we have all the time in the world. Then accident, illness, tragedy strikes and suddenly, it becomes an "oops!" moment. 

We don't have time for "oops!" moments any longer. Look at how the world is more sinful with each passing day. It is OK to say that, it is OK to know that, what is NOT OK is allowing time to catch up to you.

Give your hearts over to Jesus! He IS the Good Shepherd. Have you heard His Voice? Have you heeded his call?

Comments

Popular Posts