I have been dealing with icky health issues for a very long time. Though I don't allow it to get me down, there ARE days when my five minute pity party can get to me. After a session in which my husband had to literally force my leg to the floor several times (due to knee replacement surgery, that leg NEEDS to straighten out and it isn't cooperating, thus the need to apply pressure in the hopes the tissues will begin to relax and do what they need to!) I sat up, tears pouring from my sweat drenched face. It hurt, I hurt, and I was trying to be brave--for his sake. As he helped me up and I climbed in bed, I snuggled next to him. The tears subsided and I whispered, "if I had a choice between wining the lottery and having my good health back, I'd choose good health. I am soooooo tired of feeling this way!" His gentle breathing had me thinking he had already fallen asleep, so I cuddled a bit closer and closed my eyes. Then in the quiet, he whispered, "I love you just the way you are. Now, get some sleep." He kissed my cheek and was quiet again as I thanked God for this wonderful man.

I lay awake however, thinking about the perspective of what "money" has done for our global world. Greed is forcing nations to erupt in cacophony as the poor are rising up. Greece, Italy, France and even the US are all dependent upon each other as never before. It has been said that if Greece falls, so goes the rest of the world.

The picture depicted in today's blog should tell you as well as show you the disparity that I am talking about. Though I am a Catholic, I too have wondered why the Pope sits in luxury even as he tells people to give to others, to live in harmony.

Excuse me, Your Eminence, but to see you in your finest makes me sick. When have I seen you in want? When have you walked amongst the dead and dying in Africa, as a young mother clutches her starving children? When have you been to Iraq or any other war touched nation and spoken with the men and women who have fought bravely for peace? When have you comforted a homeless alcoholic here in America as a bottle of mouthwash is consumed? When have you told a child whose parent was innocently killed in a drive by shooting that "God is with you?"

Huge sigh............so we must be that advocate for peace ourselves. St Francis of Assisi lived in poverty. In fact, he embraced it. He knew that to have a pure heart, one could not have a compulsion to collect treasures on earth. Even Jesus said, "store up riches in heaven, where moth and rust do not corrode." When a follower of Jesus once asked, "Teacher, what must I do to attain heaven?" Jesus answered, "Go and sell all that you have and come follow me!" The man realized that it was too much to ask for and walked away. However, as Jesus was gathering his disciples, he told them to give up everything and follow him. Thus Peter, James and John walked away from lucrative fishing ventures to learn more about this Man.

I have been given so much more than I feel I deserve and have tried to make up that difference in many ways. It can never match the goodness of God's gentle spirit, this I know. The friends He has surrounded me with, the husband who comforts me, the food and shelter I have, all are more than enough to satisfy my needs. Am I rich? Oh yes....I am so rich...in the love of those who love me. That to me is worth more than any lottery any day!!

May the peace of the Lord be with you also!!!!







Comments

  1. Are you surprised that thunder and lightning didn't rain down on you? I too have felt that our current Pope is lording himself over all with little to show for his efforts. I am reminded of St Francis who shook his brothers, reminding them that they lived to serve...not the other way around. I imagine this rattled a few senses. Yet it needs to be said!!! When you see someone without, give until it hurts. It benefits both people! Thank you for saying this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts