who do you want to be?

 



I don't know...I look at my life and see conflict from within. It isn't my doing, in fact, I have done all I can to be patient, generous and caring. It is from outside sources whose sole goal, it would seem, is to create division just to be spiteful. Their words and actions, however, are hateful and have me at my wit's end! I have dealt with crud like this throughout my life...yet even in adulthood, it would seem there are "bullies" who just want to create drama and vitriol for their own benefit. Yet, if the tables were turned, I can damn well guarantee ya there would be hell to pay! So it seems, I can never win. Huge sigh.
I received the following story as an e-mail yesterday and it seems to fit with what is happening. It is told from a woman's perspective, but you can read it from a male point of view also. I hope that the words sink in....I also hope that you are never on the receiving end of bitter jealousy. Believe me, it hurts more than I can describe here. Here is the story:

You are going to meet an old lady someday. Down the road, ten, twenty, thirty years; she’s waiting for you.  You will catch up to her. What kind of old lady are you going to meet? 
She may be a seasoned, soft and gracious lady. A lady who has gown old gracefully, surrounded by a host of friends – friends who call her blessed because of what her life has meant to them. She may be a bitter, disillusioned, dried-up cynical old buzzard, without a good word for anyone or anything – soured, friendless, alone.
          The kind of old lady you will meet will depend entirely upon you.
She will be exactly what you make of her, nothing more, nothing less. It is up to you. 
                       You will have no one else to credit or blame. 
Every day, in every way, you are becoming more and more like that old lady. You are getting to look more like her, think more like her and talk more like her. You are becoming her.
 If you live only in terms of what you are getting out of life, the old lady gets smaller, drier, harder, crabbier, more self-centered.
 Open your life to others. Think in terms of what you can give and you contribution to life, and the old lady grows larger, softer, kinder, greater.
These little things, seemingly so unimportant now – attitudes, goals, ambitions, desires – are adding up inside where you cannot see them, crystallizing in your heart and mind.  The point is these things don’t always show up immediately. But they will – sooner than you think. 
Some day they will harden into that old lady; nothing will be able to soften or change them then.
The time to take care of that old lady is right now, today. Examine your motives, attitudes, goals. Check up on her. Work her over now while she is still pliable, still in a formative condition. Then you will be much more likely to meet a lovely, gracious old lady at the proper time.
 
Remind you of anyone you know? Pass this message along...it is never too late to change...and remember--change is good!

Comments

  1. ha! I had a mother in law who was so bitter about my marrying her son....unfortunately my husband had an adult daughter who was equally jealous of our relationship. For five years I put up with the hateful comments, the sneers from both of them while hubby turned a blind eye. I spoke up and told them I couldn't take their comments and to please show respect for the choice their dad/son made. No change. I asked hubby to please talk sense into them. No change or effort from him either. Finally, I had to take care of me....and walked away. It was hateful, yet I had absolutely no support from the man who was supposed to be there for me. Of course I was considered an ass for leaving the marriage too, but as I told him..."you couldn't stand up for me then, you just can't stand me now. I hope you are happy in the mess you allowed." I don't want to be resentful or bitter...I don't want to be that old curmudgeon....a fresh start is what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh...family! love 'em or leave 'em.....however, in marriage, the spouse always comes first--ALWAYS!!!! adult kids need to know this. As I told my adult kids who behaved like five year olds when I got married and they resented my husband, "Go to your room and don't come out until you think you can be respectful!" That little ultimatum cost us three years of memories, but tough love it was!!! Now they KNOW that mom means business! They have their lives, they don't have to be so "in your face" about mine. Happiness is what you make of it...if there is no support from the spouse, how can the relationship be happy? It will always always always be "us versus THEM!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have aneighbor who was justa crusty old woman...oh my Gawd!!!!!! She was rude to everyone, yet expected everyone to wait on her hand and foot!!! Unfortunately, this is a small town...when she died, no one showed up for her funeral. Yes she was well known...as a big pain! I never want to be like that. We all have our days but when days become years, its time to re-examine how you can make a difference. Unfortunately some people just never seem to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughters were resentful of the new woman I had in my life. They told me I was welcome but to not bring "her." That was OK by me...I just never showed up either. It will only be "us versus them" as long as you ALLOW it. Put that foot down, speak up! They don't like it, too bad. Life stopped revolving around them when they became adults. I don't question them and their motives, why should they question mine? Does this make me an old crusty man? Or just someone who loves my wife enough to respect her and only ask that others do the same?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I maintain, "you live in the hell you create!" The most beautiful woman in the world is not a Playboy bunny or a cheap Hollywood bimbo, it was Mother teresa. She had such love and care for the poorest of the poor. Those who found her knew they could die in peace. Rev Baum, you are that woman, the most beautiful person I have "known." I live in peace knowing that you are on "our" side, me and rob and the many others out there who probably read this and haven't spoken up yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have been helped by the words here on these posts. thank you...I have just begun AA...and with your support, I am taking it one day at a time. Because I don't want to be that crusty old person in the mirror..I want to be beautiful inside and out.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts