the calm during the storm....

 
 all of us would love to have Jesus in our boat during the storm. All you have to do is call out to Him. You are not alone!



Last night's storms superseded the storms from the night before by quite a bit. All over the cities, trees were blown down, power has been lost, sirens went off and for the many of us who have pets, they were agitated from all of the action.
Power...or the lack of it. We take it for granted until we don't have it, don't we?  I couldn't have my morning cup of coffee, or watch TV, or surf the Internet, or listen to music. It was still so dark, even after 6 a.m. All I could do was read a magazine by flashlight. That soon lost its luster, so I thought. I prayed for my husband, a truck driver who was driving in the storm also. I sent my guardian angel to his side. I had my own in my little Bichon Frise dog, who, after hearing the sirens, would not allow me to stay in the bedroom. I followed her downstairs to the couch, where even there she remained frantic until the sun peeked out quite a few hours later.It was with good reason she was nervous; a large tree limb fell in the front yard not too far from the bedroom window. Hmmmmm....
As I pondered in the early morning darkness, as the lightning flashed continuously, I thought of how others are powerless when the storms of their life come washing over them. It doesn't have to be an act of Mother Nature, it can also be illness, injury, a death, or some other disaster that surely will change the course of their lives. I thought of how Jesus remained unruffled when storms rocked the boat, though His disciples panicked. Jesus told the wind and waves to "be calm, be still!" (Mark 4:39) We need to remember that also, when the storms of life rock our own boat. Show no fear, for you are not alone! Worries never get us any closer to a solution and those who worry tend to waste so much energy, because things always have a way of working out.
My husband made it to his destination safe and though I was not frantic, I felt grateful enough to thank God and the angel who kept him on course throughout the stormy night.

Comments

  1. I am going to use this as my Sunday Sermon, if I may. This is just excellent, told in a way many can relate to. Sometimes us Reverends think too hard about what we are "going to say." Too much theology, I am thinking. Thank you! By the way, how Do you do it? It takes me all WEEK to come up with just ONE sermon and you have one every day??? you are truly blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. animal freak number oneJune 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM

    animals have an innate way of reaching out to us, especially dogs. Dog/God...see the connection? Your dog was protecting you and you LISTENED! So many of us think they are just "going nuts." Yours obviously loves you! thanks for the story! (I watch for your blogs daily, I have it bookmarked and check back if I don't see a new one right away)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel lucky that my dog has never been afraid of storms and also blessed that is wasn't as bad in my neighborhood as I know it was in others. Glad you and your animals are safe! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have helped me to find my way and I thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts