a hot summer night

 
"Helping out is not some special skill. It is not the domain of rare individuals. It is not confined to a single part of our lives. We simply heed the call of that natural impulse within and follow it where it leads us." - Ram Dass
As I read this, I thought back to last night. It was a sultry evening and I was at the gas station filling up. The only other vehicle was a red Hummer whose occupant sat waiting. Another car pulled up behind the Hummer and it's driver got out and began to curse the Hummer's driver, telling him to move his (expletive) car! I looked around, there were three cars and eight pumps! Why this person choose to start a fight was beyond me. The Hummer's driver did move, but I was astounded at the rudeness. 
I have always advocated walking in another's shoes. Yes it had been a very hot day, yes the price of gas is bothersome. But why would one take his pain out on another? Oh...the choices some of us make! I see things such as this all the time. The lack of respect from people of all ages just floors me. Whatever happened to the Golden Rule? How would you feel if time after time people were rude to you? Now see it from the opposite angle...how many times have you been rude to another? 
Leave the world in a better way than you found it. What is the price of another's happiness? Is the sacrifice worth it?
Yes...it is.

Comments

  1. love the new layout! Hey Rev Baum, I love also your simplistic attitude! You have shown you don't need a four year college degree to just reach out to others....just be nice! Patrick Swayze said that in "Roadhouse," too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts