how tenacious can you be?


 "Do not be afraid, you who are highly esteemed," he said. "Peace! Be strong now; be strong." When he spoke to me, I was strengthened and said, "Speak, my lord, since you have given me strength." Daniel 10:19


I am so excited to be in my new home. At last, I have a huge yard to plant flowers to my heart's desire! A few days ago, I purchased several rose plants already in bloom that were marked down in price at a nearby nursery. As I made room for them in my yard, I thought about how delicate a rose seems to be. The petals, so soft and silky. They need special food, tender care and before winter, must be carefully tended to so that come Springtime, they will bloom once more.

That same night, we had not one, but two very heavy thunderstorms that hit our area. I looked out the window at my roses, worried about how they would withstand the onslaught. So far, so good. I then went to bed.

The next morning, I got up, eager to check on them once more. There they were, the pink and red blooms still intact! Wow, I had thought for certain that the petals would have been all over the ground, yet they remained on the bush!

Tenacity. What does that word evoke in you? It can be the tiny dandelion that grows in the crack of a sidewalk, despite the many footsteps that trod on it. It can be a tree that can withstand even the strongest wind. It can also be a person, who, despite life's struggles, gets back up and resumes life. Yes, they may be battle-scarred and bruised, but very much whole.

I have a friend who is facing hard times within her family. Although her faith in God is strong, she acts brave, but I feel her pain. I know of what she is dealing with for I have been there myself. Her shoulders shake, but she refuses to give in to the tears that lay just below the surface. I wonder what it will take before she finally breaks...and perhaps, not in a good way.

You see, to be tenacious does NOT mean that you cannot cry or perhaps you feel as though you must just hold it all in, be brave and move ahead. NO! That stress is what will break the dam of your  heart! Instead, give IN to the tears...tears are cleansing! My favorite passage in the Bible is the one that says, "Jesus wept." John 11:34-36 says..."34and said, "Where have you laid him?" They said to Him, "Lord, come and see." 35Jesus wept. 36So the Jews were saying, "See how He loved him!"… This was in reference to his friend, Lazarus' passing away. You see, Jesus knew that He could return him to life, yet His heart grieved for the fact that we humans are mere mortals. We feel pain, we have sorrow, we know heartbreak. Jesus, being God made man, also had those same feelings! He knows what pain is all about. If you think not, watch any movie that depicts His crucifixion.....He knows pain very well, both physical as well as the emotional pain of betrayal, loss of his friends when He needed them the most and the pain of a world gone mad.

My friend, look at me. I know of pain. I knew pain as a child, living through the hell of abuse. I knew pain as an adult, again dealing with emotional and physical abuse. I have seen another's pain. We ALL deal with painful burdens daily. Take your cares and give them to God, for He cares about you! Lay them at His feet, humble yourself before Him and simply say, "help me, Father, for I am tired of doing this all by myself!"

And then, watch what happens. To admit weakness is what makes us strong! 2 Corinthians 12:8-10 says   8"Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. 9And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong!"

My prayers today are that all of you who are facing storms in your life, admit your weakness....ask for help. Allow the stress in your heart to leave, have a good cry. Then allow God to fill that space with His love and strength. You will feel reborn in His strength and hope. Amen!

Comments

  1. you're right about how we hold it all in and then the dam breaks. This is what leads to stress, heart attacks and auto immune disorders. Give in to the pain and people think you are weak, yet as you said so well, "when I am weak it is then that I am strong." Good point! Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christ collects our tears in a bottle, Psalm 56 verse 8...scars can toughen us, that can become pride I was told. Saying I can, is not what God wants, even Christ had help carrying His cross...never alone...yet for those of us that find shelter neigh even safety in alone this is our challenge to take down the fortified walls and feel. We maybe think, analyze....that is our way, oh but we do feel deeply.....it is there, we pour it out in lament in psalms and songs like David. Crying is hard for me because I beat myself up in mind....but crying out to God, when I know it never goes unheard is my vent. God grant me peace to be real with others to show them my walk with you through pain that you may gain the glory alone and not my walls...my tower, my strength....you alone Lord are my strength and you have always been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I watched the Passion scenes in the movie, "The Bible," I paid close attention also to how Jesus had help during His walk towards His crucifixion. He was in immense pain and yet, when He saw His mother, when Simon of Cyrene offered his help and when Veronica wiped the face of Jesus, He always gratefully acknowledged them, even if for mere seconds. He did not allow pride to stand in the way of the fact that they witnessed what He was going through...and so He didn't turn them aside. And at the very end....as He faced towards Heaven on that Cross, one tear fell as He proclaimed, "Father, into your Hands I commend My Spirit!" the seven most powerful words ever written....may God be with you...may He hold you in the palm of His hand!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts