what are you afraid to let go of?



 

Many people are afraid of change...some welcome it with open arms. Need to move to a new location? New job? How about new responsibilities in the same job? New to dating? How about giving a sad relationship the old heave-ho? What about habits that you seem to need to hang onto for reasons that only you can justify? Smoking? Eating food that you know is just not good enough for you? How many of us give excuses for why we cannot find time to exercise, but always have time to spend on Facebook? Yup.....we're out there....then there are those who cannot seem to give up a habit that, for them, has become a life-long addiction, be it drinking, drugs, maybe those wild flings found in sleazy bars...the list is endless.

So...what are you afraid to let go of?

To let go means there will be an empty spot in its place until something else takes over. Must your empty places ALWAYS be filled with something? Why not enjoy and empty spot for what it is? Why does it threaten us so much?

For example, when one quits smoking, they usually get the munchies; many say it's because they feel "naked" without holding something or doing something. So they eat...or drink....it seems one bad habit follows another. How about just cleaning up house and enjoying the freedom of doing...nothing?

In my life, I grew up poor. We had minimal to zero for "stuff." I didn't get my first Barbie until I was almost 11 years old then when I turned 13, my mom said I was "too big for dolls" and I "had to" give my dolls to my younger sister. I felt so vulnerable...I finally had the chance to act out the life I wish that I had through my Barbies...now I needed to give it up. There was such a hole. I filled it with reading more...as if I didn't already do that! I also took up bike riding, walking the dog, listening to music and caring for my younger siblings. Looking back now, I realize that I gave up something and received something so much better! An appreciation for life, for simplicity, my love of music came from this time when I had nothing else to really turn to.

I think the whole growing up poor thing carried over to my adult life in what I owned. After awhile, it became what owned ME! I had knick knacks, pictures, things that were small but that I could touch, admire and feel comforted by, just because I was surrounded by "stuff." When I divorced, I gave up much of it until I had almost nothing. It was so freeing in a way. I told myself that now dusting wouldn't be the priority it once was! Over time I accumulated "stuff" again...it seems to be a pattern of feast and famine, doesn't it? When I painted my living room a few years ago, I swore to my husband that I liked the bare walls and that "nothing was going back up!" Ha! Soon one picture was followed by another...then another...until almost all of the pictures had made their way back! Then we moved last spring. Ahhh....an empty house! I one again gave away or left behind with my now grown kids most of the possessions from the old house. I reveled in the emptiness of the new surroundings...until, one by one, things started to take up space yet again. Huge sigh...(sorry honey...I just could not resist _______!!!!!)

We need to be careful of how our possessions take over US! When we give up family and friends to work for the latest, greatest gadgets that we just simply MUST have...what have we gained? The years, they go by so fast! We make promises that we will get around to doing things with the ones we love, only to put that on hold while we become slaves to the newest toys on the market. Why can't it be a nice solid car, why does it just HAVE to be the most expensive, the fastest, the best on the lot? And so it goes. Some become addicted to exercise at the expense of family and health. Too little is as bad as too much. The word of the day is BALANCE.
Jesus admonished us about this.
 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-21

Again, in all four Gospel readings, we are also told this: 
"For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it." Matthew 16:25 see also Mark 8:35, Luke 9:24, John 12:25. The apostles must have had that point hammered on to them many times for ALL of them to put it into print. To give up yourself means just that! Give up everything that causes you to stumble, to lose faith, to put life, family and God on hold. Instead take up the yoke of righteousness, we are told. In short, once again it all comes down to treating others as we would want to be treated ourselves...caring for others as we'd want to be cared for. Don't you feel slighted when someone says, "hey, yeah, let's plan  on that!" only to wait...and wait for plans that may never happen? There is nothing wrong with having hobbies, jobs, and possessions, but when those things rule your life, then it becomes your "god," and you have lost sight of what is truly important.
Today examine your life. In what ways have "things" become more important than people?


May God's peace mark your day in every way. May the Lord show you places in your life where you've let your guard down, let your thoughts wander, and let your heart grow weary. May you, with Him, shore up your life once again. May you, with Him, renew your mind and perspective. And may you, with Him, walk intimately acquainted with His highest and best purposes for you. Turn a deaf ear to the enemy. Refuse indulgences that weaken you. Engage in all of the things that are good for your soul. Jesus loves you and He wants what's best for you. ~ Susie Larson


Comments

Popular Posts