would you rather be rich...or humble?

I have something for you to think about as the holidays and especially, this greed of a day we know as "Black Friday" approaches. Even the name evokes trepidation! Black Friday. Sounds like a disease! Technically, it's when retailers can finally claim a profit on their accounting books for the year, but for many consumers, it's when their checkbooks go in the red--money is spent, credit cards maxxed out, all in the name of making someone "happy." Tell me...how happy are YOU for having spent so much...and if you are the recipient...how happy are you a week later with the newest gadget or toy...was it what you expected?

Yesterday a Salvation Army bell ringer told me of how his parents had wealth and when they passed on, the power of attorney was granted to this man's older sister. She was to give HALF to her brother. Instead she sunk the money into real estate and gave him nothing. Now...he could be angry...but look at it this way: he had nothing before his folks died and in reality, he lost nothing that would have set him back even more. Sure, wealth would have been nice for him, as he didn't have much. However, this was the true test of a blood relationship and his sister lost it. She failed, by loving wealth and all it's trappings, more than her own brother. How sad. And in the end, she can't take it with her either. Someone else suggested that she is sure having fun now..but really...? Fun? At her brother's expense? How can she sleep at night knowing what she did? 

 The parable of the rich fool comes to mind. (Luke 13:21)

Someone in the crowd said to Him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the family inheritance with me.” 14 But He said to him, “Man, who appointed Me a judge or arbitrator over you?” 15 Then He said to them, “Beware, and be on your guard against every form of greed; for not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions.” 16 And He told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man was very productive. 17 “And he began reasoning to himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no place to store my crops?’ 18 “Then he said, ‘This is what I will do: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. 19 ‘And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years to come; take your ease, eat, drink and be merry.”’ 20 “But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your soul is required of you; and now who will own what you have prepared?’ 21 “So is the man who stores up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.”


 



Read the message below from Mother Teresa and allow it to sink into your soul. In the end of our lives, it doesn't matter what we have; big mansion or tiny hut, expensive clothes or a threadbare coat...we all die naked, penniless and humble. You can't take it with you!

Comments

  1. great! there goes the newest iPad that I wanted! AGH...why do you have to make me feel so GUILTY Reverend?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been humbled for years and not seen wealth....A bit would be nice but in the same respect I do not mind working for it.Thats why I only want a bit....too much of a good thing and all

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have a gentle heart. If only the world could be thus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this should be a warning note for our country!!! Just keep building those barns, one day the empire will all come crashing down!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts